2 Routers, 1 Wifi Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvdy

Hi all
I have a Linksys WAG54GP2 in my house and a WRT54G in the garage. The two are connected together by a cable. What i want to do is make the wrt extend the wireless network that the wag54 is propogating so that there is only one network. At the moment there are two wireless networks on my property but i only want one.
Any questions/clarifications please ask!
Cheers
Allan

You really cannot connect two routers to each other, unless you have the ability to turn off the routing functionality on one of them to make it work like a simple switch. See if the adnin panel on either of them allows this type of reduced functionality operation.

Well what are you trying to do? enhance the link strength/quality?

I don't think it can be done like that, but if you want more LAN ports it might be possible if you can disable DHCP (or wireless lan capability) on one of them.

Hi.
What I have is: One WAG54GP2 in the house with a wireless network This Wag has a network called linksys_house. There are four computers connected to this wireless. Then there is a WRT54G in the garage connected to the WAG via a cable that runs the length of the property. This WRT has a network called linksys_studio. There is only one laptop that connects to this mainly but it is too far away to recieve the signal from the linksys_house network. What I want to do is get rid of the linksys_studio network and make the linksys_house network extend out the WRT.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 5
You really cannot connect two routers to each other, unless you have the ability to turn off the routing functionality on one of them to make it work like a simple switch. See if the adnin panel on either of them allows this type of reduced functionality operation.

Just as NetCablePlus said.

You check the configurable settings on your LinkSys Devices. As you want to turn routing function OFF of one OR the other. So you could (in one case) have

Wireless Computers <===========>WAG54GP2<=======================>WRT54G<========>Wired LAN Computers
.............................(WAG54GP2 still connects to wireless)...................(WRT54G connects LAN Computers)
.............................(but now simply passes along data)........................(and Router functions)
.............................(on cable to WRT54G)

THE OTHER CASE is similar. For other case, you have the WRT54G simply pass along the data to WAG54GP2 which does routing and wireless connect functions

Hi
I have fixed my problem
I set both routers with the same SSID, encryption and key and now my clients can move seamlessly between them.
Cheers
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back