2 Routers & 5 computers working, 1 computer not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have 2 linksys routers wired together, the first with DHCP enabled, the 2nd disabled, the first at 192.168.1.1 the 2nd at 192.168.1.2. I am trying to get a windows xp computer to have internet access via 2nd routers wifi not cable connected but am having problems with it. It keeps trying to "acquire the network address" assumingly because it cant get its ip address although its configured to do so automatically. I was unable to get internet through the first router on this computer but since adding the 2nd (DHCP disabled mind you) I am able to receive good signal. What do I need to do to get this xps internet working? Im sure im just not doing something with the tcp/ip address setting but Im not sure what. Help Please!

Given the info you provided, when you have two routers on the same subnet one should be configured as an access point, two routers should not work when on the same network like that. When you configure one as an access point it will still be on the network but will have all routing capabilities disabled. I assume that the reason for the two linksys routers is to extend wireless range?

it you use the second router as a switch, then it becomes easy
(but you may have reasons for devices attached to one to not see the other with
the original setup)

the simple way is like
Code:
modem --- router#1 --- 3 systems (wired) and or several WiFi
                  |
         router#2 +--- 3 more systems (or Wifi connections)
notice the WAN side of router#2 is left empty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back