2 Routers network

By mfaizan91
Jul 27, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. So i have router hooked up to dsl line working fine wireless and everything. Now i Have a second router as well which i want to be able to pick the Wi-fi signal of the initial router and let me access the Internet on the second router (the one that i want to pick up the wifi signal) via its ethernet ports to stuff like TV blu-ray console etc.. Is it possible and how do i do it?
  2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

I believe you need to configure the 2nd router as a bridge or access point.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,290   +281

Using router#1 - - wifi connection - - router#2 is RARE; this is the job of an Access Point
    and as previous comment suggests, it needs a bridge connection which is not comon in routers.

Where router#2 has wifi support, you could wire a connection between R#1/R#2 and
    config R#2 to use the same SSID but a different channel. However, your post reads to me
    that wired connections on R#2 are fine and the WiFi connection back to R#1 is your major
    issue.

Instead, look at Ethernet over A/C Power which allows your router to get Internet access in the remote room.

{be careful: PoE (Power over Ethernet is not the same thing at all)}
  4. mfaizan91

mfaizan91 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 77

what is the difference between Ethernet over ac and poe?
  5. mfaizan91

mfaizan91 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 77

ok after checking i don't think i can do that as my circuit for upstairs is different from downstairs... what i want to do is stream HD from my PC (upstairs) to my TV(downstairs) and in future when i have a console or anything then to be able to the same. So what should i do get a wireless N router and sony's wifi adaptor and make it work that way or what? i was really hoping to do this router 1's wifi picked up by router 2 (or any other such thing) and the connect cables from that straight to the tv, console, media center.. and stream HD
  6. jobeard

see this please
  7. jobeard

then you will need the Access Point device

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.