24 accidental scientific discoveries that reshaped the world forever

By Shawn Knight
Nov 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. As it turns out, many of the world’s scientific discoveries happened by sheer accident. The gang over at Mental Floss recently put together a video detailing 24 such discoveries for our viewing pleasure and as you’ll soon realize, most discoveries...

Read more
  2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,349   +1,945

Silly putty was accidentally discovered while trying to make synthetic rubber at Du Pont during WWII. Great kids toy. I really enjoyed it back in the day.
  3. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

The microwave was a great accident. The inventor had a chocolate bar in his pocket while working on a radar emitting microwaves when he noticed the candy bar in his pocket had melted. After rejiggering the process into a more compact machine the microwave oven was born.
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,349   +1,945

It was mentioned in the video.
  5. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 798   +217

Oh come on, they tried to stop heart attacks but created a boner pill with the side effect of heart attack?
  6. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Addict Posts: 439   +84

I discovered that adding a piece of sandwich ham, inside a quesadilla while toasting makes it taste better. I call it the "quesaham".

2 tortillas, a piece of krafts cheese or cheese of your choosing, cooked ham.

Step 1:place ham and cheese in between the 2 tortillas.
    Step2: Place what you have in step one in a pan and slowly cook it until its golden brow toasted.
    Step3: Flip it over
    Step4: enjoy.