TechSpot

$25 Raspberry Pi computer handles 1080p video, coming soon

By Matthew
Dec 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. It's been a while since we've heard any major news about the pocket-sized Raspberry Pi computer, but according to a recent BBC report, the barebones rig is well on its…

Read the whole story

2. Pretty awesome. Look forward to hearing more.

3. I see Intel, MS, Apple filing a Patent lawsuit. Somehow the little PC that could will disappear.

4. Impressive...Most Impressive

5. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,708   +62

Cool they should slap one of these on the back of every tv.

6. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 688   +48

wow that is crazy, a cheap PC like this tho would def be a threat to PCs as a cheaper alternative.

7. herpaderp

herpaderp TS Enthusiast Posts: 159

I doubt it'd be of much interest to the avg consumer, but I could definitely see this being a viable portable media player/streamer thanks to the small size, low power consumption and the muscle to play 1080p30 video.

8. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

I cannot wait to hear more and I want this project to be a success.

9. tehbanz

tehbanz TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

i've been tracking the pi's for awhile now. I'm a part of a local hacker/maker network and they are looking into the possibilities of using the pi to control certain hardware/embed into certain projects (a cheap arduino). It's definitely a versatile little machine and I hope much success to it, and I hope the aforementioned (lawsuits) do NOT happen. The Developer has sunk everything into this and is a genuine guy with a genuine dream.

10. On raspberrypi.org it shows the board running a 1080p trailer for Star Trek (2009). It also shows a game running at 1080p and there doesn't seem to be a hitch with either.

I'm getting one!

11. limpangel

limpangel TS Member Posts: 65

The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a UK registered charity, so US patents are not valid in court.

12. I wonder if it can run XBMC?

13. krayzie

krayzie TS Rookie Posts: 62

my thoughts exactly!!!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.