TechSpot

$25 Raspberry Pi computer handles 1080p video, coming soon

By Matthew
Dec 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. It's been a while since we've heard any major news about the pocket-sized Raspberry Pi computer, but according to a recent BBC report, the barebones rig is well on its…

Read the whole story

2. Pretty awesome. Look forward to hearing more.

3. I see Intel, MS, Apple filing a Patent lawsuit. Somehow the little PC that could will disappear.

4. Impressive...Most Impressive

5. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,953   +162

Cool they should slap one of these on the back of every tv.

6. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Evangelist Posts: 699   +58

wow that is crazy, a cheap PC like this tho would def be a threat to PCs as a cheaper alternative.

7. herpaderp

herpaderp TS Booster Posts: 151

I doubt it'd be of much interest to the avg consumer, but I could definitely see this being a viable portable media player/streamer thanks to the small size, low power consumption and the muscle to play 1080p30 video.

8. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

I cannot wait to hear more and I want this project to be a success.

9. tehbanz

tehbanz TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

i've been tracking the pi's for awhile now. I'm a part of a local hacker/maker network and they are looking into the possibilities of using the pi to control certain hardware/embed into certain projects (a cheap arduino). It's definitely a versatile little machine and I hope much success to it, and I hope the aforementioned (lawsuits) do NOT happen. The Developer has sunk everything into this and is a genuine guy with a genuine dream.

10. On raspberrypi.org it shows the board running a 1080p trailer for Star Trek (2009). It also shows a game running at 1080p and there doesn't seem to be a hitch with either.

I'm getting one!

11. limpangel

limpangel TS Member Posts: 64

The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a UK registered charity, so US patents are not valid in court.

12. I wonder if it can run XBMC?

13. krayzie

krayzie TS Rookie Posts: 62

my thoughts exactly!!!