256MB DDR433 or 512MB DDR350

Status
Not open for further replies.

bretty

G'day all

I have a stick of DDR333, although it wont work at 333. I have to either underclock it to 266, or overclock it to 350. Weird I know...I have had a lot of grief with it. (SiS648)

I was looking at getting some DDR400 or 433 to remove some of the bottleneck with my 533FSB....would it be better for gaming to ---->

A) Stick with the 512 DDR350
B) Get 256MB of DDR433

I have my Front side bus speed at 140 which means my CPU is at 2.5ghz.

Thanks.

Originally posted by palmboy5
youll always have bottle neck... get RDRAM, (new mobo too...)

I don't mean to put you on the spot, but you seem fairly sure that there is a definite bottleneck no matter what speed of memory you use.

I'm not sure I am convinced though. Can you point me to any of the sources for your information?

Rick,

I dont really have any hard evidence except for my own equation

If I have FSB speed of 533, (and I am under the impression that the FSB is how fast your CPU talks with your RAM and MOBO) and the RAM speed of 350..then I am loosing out on 183mhz of bandwith to memory.

Is this right.....by the way palmboy5 I dont have $2000 to spend on memory....If I did I would fix the puncture in my girlfriend

Why does she have a puncture? How did that happen, Im intrigued?
My guess is that this is a reference to hot air flowing out of her maybe, but I may be wrong?

Hehe

Originally posted by Spliffmeister
.... fix the puncture in my girlfriend?????

It's probably a blow up doll...

Dude, I would stick with the 512MB. If you don't have alot of money to spend just stick with what you've got now.

Try flashing your BIOS? That might solve your 333 problem.

lmao :)

i'd get 256MB of 433MHz stuff tbh, reason being.. a) like you say, you're easing the bottleneck somewhat, b) you can always add another stick later when the prices become better or it becomes more mainstream, but if you were to stick with the 512MB 350MHz, you'd only be buying 433 later, should you want to "upgrade", and c) unless you're a hardcore gamer, renderer or 3D artist or summat, then 256MB should be plenty nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back