3.5" external HDD vs 2.5" external HDD

By monrayl
Oct 16, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, I am considering purchasing an external hdd, but I would just like to know whether it would be better to buy a 3.5" or a 2.5". Are there really any major differences between the two?
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,684   +153

"Are there really any major differences between the two?"...
    In a word, No
  3. Exonimus

Exonimus Newcomer, in training Posts: 137

There are, in fact, differences.

2.5' usually have a lower power consumption, since they do not have an external power supply. You just plug them into a USB slot and go. The 3.5' do have external power supplies, and usually consume more power. That being said, this varies per model, of course.

Furthermore, since the 2.5' external hdd's are usually based on laptop models (that's why they require less power) they are usually also slower, rotation speed wise. Then there's the obvious difference of size.

Finally, the price is usually different. One pays more for a 2.5' hdd with the same storage space as a similar 3.5' hdd. The real question is therefore: what are you looking for in a harddrive, and how much are you willing to pay for it? :p
  4. monrayl

monrayl TechSpot Member Topic Starter Posts: 74

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input :).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.