3 Devices; 1 Printer How to share the printer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbzeigler

I have Verizon FIOS, 2 desktop PCs (1-Windows XP Home; 1-Ubuntu); 1 laptop (Windows Vista); and 1 USB printer connected directly to the Windows XP Home desktop PC.

I want to be able to print from any of my workstations directly to the printer. It is not a networked printer, as it connects directly to the Windows XP desktop PC.

Is this possible? If so, how? Everything is hard-wired to a wireless router except for the laptop which uses the wireless capabilities.

Thanks in advance.

Networking

Yes just make sure that all pc's or laptops have the same ID, for the networking then make sure that all of them see the printer.

Networking

Yes just make sure that all pc's or laptops have the same ID, also set up to share on your hard drives for the networking then make sure that all of them see the printer. Hope this was helpful.

When you say to make sure they all have the same ID, does this mean set them all to the same WORKGROUP name? How would I share the hard drives?

Sorry - still learning here. ;]

Yes same workgroup name; also you will need to install relevant drivers for each OS you want to share with e.g. Vista drivers (you can do that even on XP machine). Sorry I am not sure about ubuntu.

When you say about installing relevant drivers - you mean for the printer, right? So Windows XP would have the XP drivers, Vista has the Vista drivers, etc...?

You need to share your printer on the machine to which you have the printer insalled;

1. then go into its properties, sharing tab, click on share this printer,
2. click on additional drivers at the bottom of that tab, and you will be presented with various options

I hope that can be of some use for you.

When you say about installing relevant drivers - you mean for the printer, right? So Windows XP would have the XP drivers, Vista has the Vista drivers, etc...?

I meant that you need to install Vista drivers on Xp machine as well, if you are sharing that printer from XP computer.

Well let me boot into my XP and show you the whole process.

You need to configure drivers in the following dialogue boxes through the printer applet, and appropriate printer's properties.

Attachments

• Printer-Sharing.jpg
    Printer-Sharing.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 7
Ok, I think I've gotten the print and file sharing down from the XP/Vista relationship. Now how about the file/print sharing from my Linux (Ubuntu) box too? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks again. ;]

Archean - great screen shot, thanks a lot.

You are welcome; unfortunately linux is not my forte, I am sure someone with right knowledge will be helping you out shortly about that. Regards

Thanks for the Ubuntu link. I'm currently studying Computer Networking, but some of this peer-to-peer stuff is confusing - especially with different operating systems.

Thanks again everyone for all of your help.

Thanks again for all of the assistance.

However, the link that I checked out didn't help me out so much. I got the file sharing down. I can see my shared Ubuntu folder from my XP machine, but cannot see the XP shared folder from my Ubuntu machine. I also cannot print from my Ubuntu machine to the printer, which is attached to my XP machine.

As mentioned before about drivers.....each machine will need that operating system driver for the printer. If it is an Epson Color Stylus 860, then the Vista machine will need a Vista driver for that printer...etc for the rest.

I haven't used Linux in 30 years, but if memory serves me there is something like a control panel for adding new hardware such as printers. You go through the same process to share a printer on your network (workgroup is your network, or whatever you called it). You may need to use the printer CD, and then update the driver for the printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back