3 Raptor 150's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPSer9110

Hello,

I've just built my first system and put 3 Raptor hard drives. Well, what I want to do is have all 3 run as one. Can this be done? Thank you for your help.

this is called RAID. There are (primarily) two variations;
raid-0 - stripping all volumes into one large volume and
raid-1 - mirroring where all volumes are 'mirror' images of the other, ie redundant

Unless you have a server system and need to protect against failure, you do not need raid-1

Unless you are willing to lose everything and start over, raid-0 is only trivially faster
and requires MASSIVE backup effort to protect the data.

Rethink what is important to you, eg"
no matter how many times I cut that piece of wood, it still comes up too short!

Caveat emptor :(

lot's of info on Raid-0 is available via google.

Personally, I feel so strongly against home users with raid-0 -- sorry --
I'll not contribute to letting you shoot yourself in the foot.
I'm sure there are plenty of others that have no such compunction and will
be able to help you.

*WARNING* You will be repartitioning and reformating your hard drive in the very near future. You will lose EVERYTHING on your hard drive. Everything! Nothing will be left. If you want to save ANY file you must do it now, so go save files.

You'll need either a Windows XP or Vista install disk. Go get yours now.

You'll also need a motherboard that has a RAID controller built in or a RAID controller adapter card and a RAID controller driver for whatever OS and controller you are using. Do you have both of these?

If you're using XP you'll also need a floppy drive and the RAID driver to be on a floppy disk. With Vista you'll need a floppy drive and a floppy with the RAID driver or a thumb drive, flash drive with the RAID driver on it. Go get this now.

Let us know when you're ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back