300w + Power Supply needed for my Dell Dimension 8200...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razmo

Hey guys,

First time here, thought you may be of some help. My goal is to purchase the latest 6800 Nvidia card. I'm having trouble finding a compatible power supply of alteast 300watts for my Dimension 8200.

Dell Parts claim they only offer my existing 250w power supply. They mention there are other 3rd party vendors who manufacture higher wattage compatible power supplies for my dimension 8200. My only problem is I can't seem to find any??

Can anyone be of any help here...?

Thanks,
Raz

- Thread moved to proper forum
Didou

Is your power supply one of the older ones that has the proprietary ATX connector? if so the only place I know that sells them is PC Power and Cooling.

Try here: www.siliconacoustics.com/atxtodelad.html
They say they have replacement power supplies for Dell computers, although they are not Dell original equipment. They also offer an adapter plug so that ATX types will plug in and run a Dell.

Give them a look and let me know how it works out. But shouldn't a 250w supply be enough?

Hey Zone,

I ended buying a 300 Watt Enlight from Newegg. I'm still waiting for it to arrive. I found (I'm pretty sure) my motherboard supports any ATX power supply. My mother board has only ONE 20 prong plug and no subsidiary plug besides the 4 prong power plug. My probem was finding a compatible box with the outlet in the right position as well as a box having NO power switch.

Nvidia cliams is should work fine. I've heard many different opinions. Nvidia recommends a minimum of 300watts for the 128mb 6800. I spoke to a tech of eVGA who manufactures the card. He told me it's possible a 250 may not be enough. I choose spending the 22.00 was suitable. I just hope it works :suspiciou

Hope it works, I'd always heard that Dell PSU were propietary, hence finding a replacement was a real pain in the arse. Hope I'm not bringing you down, but I'd be pleasantly suprised if a standard ATX PSU will work.

:blackeye:

This is true for SOME models but not all. The first power supply which was sold to me was a proper fit to the mother board. The problem was the outlet was situated in the wrong spot so I didn't fit my case. The second power suppply I ordered direct from Dell. They made a mistake by telling me they had a 350 Watts power supply that would fit my machine. It fit my case but it had 24 prongs to the motherboard. Just yesterday I received my 300 Watt Enlight. Well once again the I was sent the worng power supply. This time the power switch was on the box when it wasn't supposed to be. The picture shows exactly what I need though to find this is an older model. So I returned the power supply and awaiting for an older model from Enlight. One of there techs says he has a used one, which is is great shape, it'll be tested before he ships it. So once again I am waiting once again...:knock:

Raz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back