32 vs 64 bit processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodgreen

two questions.
1. My tower has a 64 bit Athlon Processor. The old tower had a 32 bit processor. If I'm thinking correctly, the 64 is double the information it can process, which makes it a faster processor??. It isn't just a faster processor, it handles more information?? Is this correct??

2. The new Vista Operating System is 32-bits. Why wouldn't it be 64 bits, since there are 64 bit towers out there now. Can the 32 bit Vista work properly with a 64 bit tower??

1. 64-bit processors do twice as many calculations or instructions as a 32-bit processor does, in the same amount of time... Relating this to overall speed, your programs that use a lot of CPU time would work more efficiently

2. Vista is made to run 64-bit applications and processes. It can handle 32-bit applications too. I have a 64-bit Intel processor running 32-bit Windows XP Pro, SP2. So the answer is yes...

tipstir said:
More code larger programs to install and large HDDs will be needed.

Yes tipstir,
a lot of people are running larger hard drives right now. I will have to abandon my multi-hard drive scheme and revert to maybe installing 2 300+ GB drives eventually. Vista doesn't like my PCI IDE controller that I can run 4 additional internal hard drives from

woodgreen said:
Thank You for your help. This website shows Vista as a 32 bit O. S.
That's where I got the information.
http://www.newegg.com/msvista/Vista_Products.html?CMP=KNC-GoogleAdwords&ATT=Vista

Tipster- Thanks= I'm sorry, I don't understand your reply.

I believe that both 32 and 64 bit versions are on the same CD. You will have the option to install either version. Vista is a 64 bit OS first. The 64 bit version will not support 32-bit applications, and Vista has an XP, SP2 emulation mode. Microsoft says to test Vista by upgrading to it from a Windows XP SP2 install...

When a processor has "64 bit support" does that mean its a 64 bit processor, or that its a 32 bit processor that can run 64 bit programs?

HPCE_Larry said:
When a processor has "64 bit support" does that mean its a 64 bit processor, or that its a 32 bit processor that can run 64 bit programs?

"64 bit support" means it is a 64 bit processor. A 64 bit processor can run 32 bit programs, but a 32 bit processor can't run 64 bit programs. A big advantage of a 64 bit processor is that it can access 128GB of memory. A 32 bit processor can only access 4GB total memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back