TechSpot

32 vs 64 bit processor

By woodgreen
Jan 27, 2007
  1. two questions.
    1. My tower has a 64 bit Athlon Processor. The old tower had a 32 bit processor. If I'm thinking correctly, the 64 is double the information it can process, which makes it a faster processor??. It isn't just a faster processor, it handles more information?? Is this correct??

2. The new Vista Operating System is 32-bits. Why wouldn't it be 64 bits, since there are 64 bit towers out there now. Can the 32 bit Vista work properly with a 64 bit tower??

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,915   +167

1. 64-bit processors do twice as many calculations or instructions as a 32-bit processor does, in the same amount of time... Relating this to overall speed, your programs that use a lot of CPU time would work more efficiently

2. Vista is made to run 64-bit applications and processes. It can handle 32-bit applications too. I have a 64-bit Intel processor running 32-bit Windows XP Pro, SP2. So the answer is yes...

3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,683   +86

More code larger programs to install and large HDDs will be needed.

4. Cpt_Subtext

Cpt_Subtext TS Rookie Posts: 273

Vista also ships in both 32 and 64 bit versions on the retail DVD's.

5. Tmagic650

Yes tipstir,
    a lot of people are running larger hard drives right now. I will have to abandon my multi-hard drive scheme and revert to maybe installing 2 300+ GB drives eventually. Vista doesn't like my PCI IDE controller that I can run 4 additional internal hard drives from

6. woodgreen

woodgreen TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 71

7. Tmagic650

I believe that both 32 and 64 bit versions are on the same CD. You will have the option to install either version. Vista is a 64 bit OS first. The 64 bit version will not support 32-bit applications, and Vista has an XP, SP2 emulation mode. Microsoft says to test Vista by upgrading to it from a Windows XP SP2 install...

8. HPCE_Larry

HPCE_Larry TS Rookie Posts: 189

When a processor has "64 bit support" does that mean its a 64 bit processor, or that its a 32 bit processor that can run 64 bit programs?

9. Tmagic650

"64 bit support" means it is a 64 bit processor. A 64 bit processor can run 32 bit programs, but a 32 bit processor can't run 64 bit programs. A big advantage of a 64 bit processor is that it can access 128GB of memory. A 32 bit processor can only access 4GB total memory

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.