3D Game Rendering 101: The Making of Graphics Explained

Thanks for putting this together! Now I understand concepts on GPUs like pixel shaders and vertex shaders much better. No wonder the GPUs have so many cores...they need to do so many more calculations in the same instant of time than a CPU does so our games actually don't look like slideshows!

I remember learning about polygon counts on models and mipmapping in the mid 90's.

Thank you folks for the kind words and thoughts. There's (hopefully!) a lot more from where that came from :D

I want to watch this topic, the only way seems to be to post a comment, so-
'a comment'.
Is there a way to watch topics without leaving posts? I couldn't see any way.

At the top of each thread, I have an option to "Watch topic" - just to the right of the "Post Reply" button. I might see this because of my account settings, so it's possible that this isn't there for you.

Thanks!
For some reason it's not there anymore, but having followed there's an unwatch topic link now. Maybe that'll wake things up.
btw, thanks for the article. (y) (Y)

Vectors we first used to create 3D looking graphics back in the early days of computing - notable examples being Elite, Mercenary, Battlezone. These were then "filled in" and allowed the player to navigate a full "3D" environment - Starstrike 2, Driller, Zarch/Virus all of which were ealier than 1988. Difference between a vector and a vertex - a vertex can be made up of (described) by vectors plus additional information.

Back