Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3Dlabs Introduces Breakthrough Visual Processing Architecture
    http://www.3dlabs.com/whatsnew/pressreleases/pr02/02-05-03-vpu.htm
    Press release by 3D Labs...

2. JAV

JAV Newcomer, in training Posts: 264

Rick,

Sounds like the war has started. 3D Labs just brought in the heavy artillery! Good for them. Finally a graphics system that won't be limited by/dependant upon the PC system. :grinthumb

Now the ? : will 3D keep the tech & make retail VPU 'cards', or will they sell to the highest bidder? Maybe a 'partnership' with a company able to provide larger production facilities? :rolleyes:

The fact that 3D has already supplied hardware & has run DX9 & OpenGL2.0 ... says it all. This isn't 'planned' architecture: it has been done! :D [wonder who supplied the DX9 :p ]

Thanks for the info & 'updates' would also be appreciated. :cool:
  3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

I've just read a bit ago that Creative Labs plans to buy 3D Labs.. This would likely give Creative Labs the long end of the stick on this new technology.

Personally, I'd like to see another major player in the home graphics arena. 3D Labs has been mainly reserved for work & design stations, but they make this sound like it may be in direct competition to win us home users over. All the while, focusing on the professional arena too.

If Creative does buy them out, I hope they put the technology to use instead of letting it sit there like Aureal.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.