3DTV sales to more than double in 2011

Emil

Staff

3D hardware for the home has been doing well at retail; year one adoption of 3DTV is running at a far quicker rate in most territories than it did for high definition, bolstered by 3DTV prices falling by close to 40 percent in some cases, according to Futuresource Consulting. Furthermore, the company predicts global sales of 3DTVs will exceed 4 million this year: 1.2 million 3DTVs will be sold in Western Europe alone, rising to more than 3 million in 2011. In the US, it expects more than 5 million 3DTVs to be sold next year.

The television market's traditional factors like screen size, display thickness, and the quality of image are reaching their peak. As a result, 3D capabilities will increasingly be bundled with other features like connectivity, Web services, and energy efficiency so that manufacturers can battle over more than just price point.

Despite this, autostereoscopic (glasses-free) 3DTVs are coming and thus many consumers are willing to skip the current 3DTV generation. While small screen sizes are okay for auto-stereoscopic 3D devices since they are viewed close-up by a single person, scaling to larger sizes for a living room environment presents a significant technical challenge. Futuresource's research shows that autostereoscopic technology is at least four years away from a large screen solution for the home, and even then it won't reach mass-market pricing till a few years after that.

"3DTV will continue to provide 'premium brand' CE manufacturers with a way to differentiate themselves from the competition and add value for consumers," Bill Foster, Senior Technology Consultant at Futuresource Consulting, said in statement. "For systems that use active glasses technology, manufacturers are now able to embed 3D chipsets at a relatively low cost, allowing them to increase their margins while still keeping 3D affordable. Passive glasses technology, as used in cinemas, is still more expensive to produce for the home and will remain costly for some time, as the TV requires a polarised screen. In addition, passive systems are unable to show 3D in full 1080p, as the picture on the screen is polarised, with half the image delivered to the left eye and half to the right."

3DTVs are coming, whether you like it or not. The question is, are you going to adopt soon or will you wait?

Permalink to story.

No plans to buy a 3D TV. Right now it seems the TV market is in a state of change, new features, better quality, lower prices are happening quite quickly. I think I'll wait until things settle down a bit. I can afford to wait.

I will be waiting. As I have been saying, this tech is still too young. There are too many limits on it right now (need for glasses, viewing angles, glasses-free TV screen sizes)...just too many limitations to make me want to spend that kind of money. When it gets large, glasses-free with a wider viewing angle, i'll go for it...till then, no thanks.

i bought a samsung 58c8000... i've never used the 3D feature but the regular picture is amazing. I can't imagine the picture being any clearer... its like looking out a window.
i think the fact that most of the larger, higher end TVs for sale out there have 3D may skew this data a bit. it'd be more accurate to view sales of the 3D glasses. i'm sure its a fraction of the sales of the TV.

mojorisin23 said:
i bought a samsung 58c8000... i've never used the 3D feature but the regular picture is amazing. I can't imagine the picture being any clearer... its like looking out a window.
i think the fact that most of the larger, higher end TVs for sale out there have 3D may skew this data a bit. it'd be more accurate to view sales of the 3D glasses. i'm sure its a fraction of the sales of the TV.

That is an interesting point. I didn't know you could turn the feature off, i never looked into it. I'm not in the market for a 3DTV until they are glasses free. Point being, lots of people may have never considered that and I would definitely like to see the numbers. I would also like to see how much 3D media is being sold. The ratio of 3D : Non-3d being sold of the same title.

I will probably hold off until we reach the point that regular flat screen HD TVs are all but phased out.

I have just recently purchased a Samsung Series 7 3D LED. The main reason for going 3D is that they no longer produce newer models of their 2D range. The series 7 ended up being $100 more than the 6, so it was really an easy decision. Samsung also had a promotion so it came with a 3D Blu ray player 2 sets of glasses and a 3D movie. Not a bad deal!

We haven't received the bundle yet, so I haven't been able to try the 3D yet, but the 2D picture is amazing like mojorisin23 said.

So in the end, if 3D dies, we're still left with an amazing 2D television.

The whole 3DTV thing is a misnomer. It's just a regular HDTV with a faster refresh rate than previously offered. There's nothing "3D" about that.

So when they say, "3DTV sales are up," all that means is that people are buying higher quality HDTV sets (because prices have dropped like crazy), not necessarily for the 3D part. Just as a couple of posters here have already alluded to.

In a nutshell, the sellers will put a 3D spin on anything to try and convince people this is what they need and provide "proof" that 3D equipment is selling well.

Guest said:
No plans to buy a 3D TV. Right now it seems the TV market is in a state of change, new features, better quality, lower prices are happening quite quickly. I think I'll wait until things settle down a bit. I can afford to wait.

Higher refresh rates don't count as 3d televisions.
Another conspiracy
It needs to have a 3d manipulation circuit to be a 3d tv.

Does the above spam really catch people out?

Or even drive up sales if it was a real site?

Seriously?!

hello ...

yeah long time no see, unless we speak of PS3/Games/3D :p ...

just 1 thing for sure, it's easier to get something slowly into households, sell it quick & cheaper & when it's there, just push up the services or add some 'appealing content' ... like we've seen before, then we do see the adoption.

well too young, i agree, not much better choice, agree too. dead soon, no, for as long as there will be something to drive people to it (games / some exclusive movies & maybe some adult oriented entertainment) it will work & it's all about business

cheers!

Back