TechSpot

4.1 Speaker Problem

By Bouncer231
Jun 4, 2002
  1. Speaker Problems

Hello. I am fairly new to the computer world. I recently bought a computer from Dell. The model is 4400. I really didn't like the speakers that they gave me so since I like to play a lot of games

I decided to buy surround sound speakers for my computer. The product and model name of the speakers is: Creative Inspire 4.1 4400. I went home and set up my speakers.

When I had them all arranged where I wanted them I tested them out and I found that my two rear speakers weren't working. I then checked all of the connections and I found out that I only have one line out port that I can connect into. So I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to turn my line in port into another line out port (without having to take apart my computer a whole bunch). Or if that can not be done could someone tell me of something I could buy that I could use to make my speakers work. Thanks.

2. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

There are two solutions for this problem:

The cheap fix: Buy a Y adapter(one male plug and two female plugs) and plug your two speaker lines into the one jack.(this is really a waste of the 4.1 surround sound speakers though)

The correct way: Buy a new sound card with setreo out, such as a Sound Blaster Live! or Audigy.

3. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,335   +278

Even a Live! Value will work and they're really cheap. They're also NOT new. :mad:

LNCPapa

4. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas TS Rookie Posts: 1,327

What audio does the Dell feature?

5. Bouncer231

Bouncer231 TS Rookie Topic Starter

About how much would a new sound card cost?
    My Dell came with a SoundMAX Digital Audio sound card. It sounds pretty good to me but I really don't know that much about computers.

6. JAV

JAV TS Rookie Posts: 264

7. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

I meant NEW as in "to purchase something as a replacement"

I wasn't meaning NEW as in something just released.

Bouncer, I've seen the SB Live Value (OEM) for as low as $29.99 at some places online.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.