TechSpot

4 vga cards in SLI

By topps999
Apr 6, 2007
  1. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

Yeah, but imagine the power consumption. You'd need a whole nuclear station just to power the PC :D

1 person likes this.
  2. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

Lol wolfram :D ! I would have the benchmarks on that game should be pretty high :grinthumb !

3. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,273

Too bad Dell sucks my balls... Also the price on that PC would have to be like $500000000000000000000 just like all their other computers and alienware

Plus 7800 is "Old" atm, they should just 7900 or the 8800 ( which sucks because the new ATI card is going to spank the 8800 :haha: )

4. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

They did use 8800's as well as other gpu's :D.

5. foozy

foozy TS Rookie Posts: 139

You'd need to cut a hole in the front of your case just to fit the suckers in, jeez. I thought computers were 'sposed to be getting smaller?

6. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,273

Lol no I had a full tower ( The big cases ) that took up about 1/3 my desk and my desk is 7 feet wide :haha:

7. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

Imagine the weight. 20kgs and counting... ;)

8. topps999

topps999 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 139

you would definately need watercooling on all 4 gpus.

9. Rage_3K_Moiz

More like liquid-nitrogen cooling! ;)

10. topps999

^-^ so.. we need
    liquid nitrogen.. a big *** watercooling system...
    a nuclear power plant...
    a decent mobo
    and obvious a 32 core processor xD! lol

11. Grafficks

Grafficks TS Rookie Posts: 302

Intel's 32-core Processor (codename Keifer) is expected to come in 2010. The past few years have been revolutionary, because CPU manufacturers have ditched the plan of having 20GHz processors, and instead they plan to create multi-cores. Trading clock speed in return for more cores is something that has changed computing over the previous few years.

The graphics cards you linked to were the old 7800's that were considered "dual-GPU" by having two of them stacked on top of each other. I highly doubt we will see this done with any 8xxx series cards. They will develop multi-core GPUs (much like multi-core CPUs) for graphics cards.
    This will eliminate the need of stacking all those graphics cards on top of each other. :)

12. Rage_3K_Moiz

You mean like multiple GPUs on the same die? That would be something...

13. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

All that processing power but how many games take advantage of it, and how many of those games are worth playing?

14. topps999

bf2142? is only game with high-detailed graphics :-/

15. Rage_3K_Moiz

What's the above post have anything to do with GPU processing power?
    @Miclantecuhtli, won't future games be optimized for multi-GPU video cards?

16. dreddnott

dreddnott TS Rookie

Too bad it's impossible to connect four 7950GX2s on a motherboard with four PCI Express x16 slots for OCTUPLE SLI!

17. eazy_duz_em

eazy_duz_em TS Rookie Posts: 102

currently...there is no need of quad sli...nor octo...whatever sli.. one 8800GTX is enough for everything...but still quad-sli sounds cool! :D...
    and it's pretty obvious there will be multi GPU Video cards and maybe the need of sli will die :)

18. Coth

Coth TS Rookie Posts: 56

We are in an age of miniture-zation (sp). Things aren't getting faster they're getting smaller.

WTF would a 32-core CPU do anyway? Run multiple OS's? Virtual Machine? I'm happy with my computer, it does all I need it to. Realworld application is the key not POWER.

It would be nice to have multiple GPU processors on one card. That's the future... :chef:

19. RamenNoodles

RamenNoodles TS Rookie Posts: 83

Just like someone else stated before, imagine how expensive dell would charge you for that. For an upgrade to like 4gb on a laptop, they want like 1500$. Screw that. I would be willing to bet they would try and get an extra $2000 out of you if you wanted that VGA setup. As for PSU, Im not even sure a 1000W would do the trick.

ANd lastly, what in the hell would you need those cards for anyways?

20. dreddnott

dreddnott TS Rookie

Coth, Sapphire is just now putting out an X1950 Pro with two GPUs on one PCB. The drivers are still in a beta stage so Crossfire doesn't work in some applications, but it has been done. I don't know if you could Crossfire two of them together. :)

21. Coth

Coth TS Rookie Posts: 56

:chef:

Nice! See... the heard me think that... :chef:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.