5.1 surround acting like 2.1, not working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaLo2FrEeEk

Here's the deal, I have a Logitech X5400 5.1 Surround system. It uses 3.5mm jacks for the sound, and there are 3 of them colored lime (left/right), black (center/sub), and orange (rear left/rear right). I moved this all over from my TV where I was using the Matrix mode to simulate the surround sound, to my computer so I could plug it in to my computer's 5.1 outputs (3.5mm jacks). I have an Asus M2N-E SLI mobo with C-Media audio output and Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I downloaded and installed the most recent drivers from Asus.com. I configured my sound output to 5.1 surround, but for some reason the rear sound is coming out of the front left and right speakers.

I can't find any other drivers for my sound, but if it helps, it's "C-Media CM6501 Like Sound Device". I just want my sound to be true 5.1 and I can't figure out how. I don't think have any way of configuring jacks, just configuring the outputs. Can anyone think of what I could do to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Do you mean "Z" 5400. I have a set of Logitech Z 5300 speakers. I don't know how similar they are to the 5400 but mine has a switch on the subwoofer/amp to switch to 2, 4.1 or 5.1 operation. It isn't clear to me from your post but if you have such a switch, is it configured correctly?

I have no such switch. It's the Logitech X5400. As far as I can see all that's on the back is the power cable, the wired remote control, the 3 inputs for the audio (3.5mm lime/orange/black) and the 5 speaker outputs.

On the flip side of this though, I seem to have found an odd workaround. I set my C-Media configuration panel to 7.1 output and it works now, all 5 speakers. I don't know why, but I guess it just didn't like something. It souldn't matter for much longer because I'm getting my tax return soon and I'm getting a new mobo, hopefully this one will be better.

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't think it would be so simple as my suggestion but I gave it a shot anyway. Since it's working maybe you shouldn't mess with it anymore but I did find a driver for your onboard sound dated 2007/08/31 on the Asus website here: Asus

You'll have to enter your OS and then click on the Audio link. I don't know if that is an improvement over the driver you currently have.

I downloaded the most recent driver right before I posted, to see if it helped anything...it didn't, but like I said for whatever reason changing it to 7.1 worked. And you said exactly what my Fiancee said, don't mess with it. I don't think I will, but like I said I'm getting a new mobo so hopefully this one doesn't have the problem. I'm thinking I'll get the ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe, it's perfect from what I can see, and the ratings are pretty high, too.

You're right. The ratings are pretty high (at Newegg). I'm old fashioned so the lack of one of two PS/2 ports would cause me to have to buy a new keyboard or mouse. :) New boards seem to be like that though so maybe I should get with the program and change.

Wireless is the way to go. I'm not an extreme gamer, so the drawbacks of wireless for gamers aren't there for me. I'm perfectly fine with the almost imperceptible lag, the tradeoff is totally worth it.

I don't know if I'm extreme but I do like some gaming, just single player though. My little PS/2 Microsoft Intellimouse is still working for me. It's so old it still uses a ball instead of being optical. Good luck with your soon-to-be new motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back