512mb ASUS 8800GT, 450 watt PSU do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledgus

Hi,

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but I want to ask to make sure. Is a 450 watt PSU good enough to run an ASUS 8800GT? I'm under the impression that if you want to run this card at its potential you will need 500/550 watts or greater.

Will it run crap on a 450 Watt PSU? My current hardware power load is a Stock Clocked Core 2 Duo E6600, 2GB corsair RAM, 250GB Sata 2.0 HDD and 1DVD burner.

Amps is the important point.
Safe bet for 8800GT = 24-26amps
Some say 400w @ 22amps
Best to go with
450w @ 26amps (or more)

I installed my card, wasn't a worry after all, I got 11000 in 3dMark 06 :D

How do amps work? What do I look for?

Look on the side of your PSU or the box it came in. You will see a listing of 3.3 volts, 5 volts, and 12 volts. Amperage is the amount of current flowing through a circuit. In electronics there are mathematical formulas to figure resistance: "ohms"... Voltage or "electromotive force": and current "amps or amperage". Amperage is the rating that fuses are rated. Amps is what will shock the XXXX out of you. The formula for "power" or "watts" is volts x amps. The formula for amps =volts divided by resistance "ohms". Speaking of "Ohms"...look up "Ohm's law" and learn this stuff. Also, get a PSU with more amps than you think you need.

Personally I wouldn't run an 8800 GT on a 450W PSU but it depends on what the specs of the PSU are, like everyone else has said.

I would get a 550W or more PSU with good amperage ratings, as you can never have too much power, but you will pay the price for not having enough.

You could urn the system on a 450W PSU but chances are you'll be putting a lot of load on the PSU when you're gaming so it wouldn't last as long as if you had one with more power.

plz guys can u help on wich graphics card should i go for... the specs for my PC r as follows... was thinking on nvidia 8800 512 MB (SLI).. but a colleague recommended Nvidia 8800 256 MB saying my config wouldnt support 512MB one.
Also have 512MB RAM wich i can upgrade to 1 GB and if i do so do i need 8800 512MB? plz help!! thanx...
1. Know your gaming limits --> I would like to play the latest games like Crysis,FIFA 08, Call of Duty 4 and all..
2. Tell us your budget--> my budget is Rs. 5000, indian currency(1USD=40Rs.) . I was loking at Nvidia 8800 512MB(SLI) thnk its the best but im not sure its best for my PC. Just wanted to get a good one so that i wldnt need to upgrade soon. Also wat abt Nvidia 8800 256 mB. I can also look at upgradiing my PC RAm from 512 to 1024. Suggest...
3. Motherboard -
Manufacturer - Intel Corporation
Model - D915GLVG
4. Graphic interface - Dont know wat to write here as i have no graphics card. I think 915GL VG has one on board(Seriously doubt its credentials though...)
5. Memory -
Type -- DDR
Channels - Single
Size - 512 MB
6. CPU -
Name -- Intel Pentium 4 640 (Hyperthreading,if it means nething)
Core Speed -- 2800 MHz
Specification - Pentium 4 (3.2 GHz)
7. Power Supply Make/Model - ATX - 450T
8. Watt output/Amperage -- 12V Rail --> 8.0A. The supply box also says maximum of 22A but not under the 12V Rail. Also it says max output as 450W
9. Additional Specs:
Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096 MB
Currently Installed Memory: 512 MB
Available Memory Slots: 3
Number of Banks: 4
Dual Channel Support: N.A.
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz Model 4, Stepping 3
CPU Speed: 3200 MHz
10. Country -- India
Regret the mistake.. didnt mean to spam!

just for formality's sake vins, please don't just tack on your problem to someone else's thread. it's confusing for people who are looking into a similar problem to see tons of other people's problems just thrown in at random. and solutions aren't the same for everyone. not to mention...you're looking into a different issue altogether. that means, post a new thread.

in regards to the original post, and to dave...something like the Corsair CMPSU 450VX could run that, correct? i'm not entirely sure on how to run the numbers though.

i remember the formulae and stuff. i'm just unsure of what exact calculations i should make, nor do i really understand what numbers i should be using to do them. or is it as simple as glancing at a few specific numbers on the PSU ratings to figure it out? perhaps some elaboration through an example so i could learn it too?

all i really have to go on is the quality and other people's recommendations.

You probably could run an 8800GT on a 450W PSU ok, but personally I would opt for a more powerful PSU so as to not put too much load on a 450W one. It basically is making sure that the PSU can give the card enough Amps on its 12V rail and having enough power (watts) to power the card and the system, with some headroom.

vinsver PM'd me virtually the same message as what he posted here (up to the word India) and I have replied making recommendations for him.

vinsver, if you would like more help then start your own thread in the Audio and Video forum.

Please edit your second post in this thread to remove the CPU-Z report, it makes the thread longer and harder to handle.

Corsair450w @ 33amps
PC Power and Cooling Silencer470w @ 26amps

eVGA 8800GT SC
http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=512-P3-N802-A1&family=19

Requirements
Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 22 Amp Amps.)
Minimum 450 Watt for SLI mode system.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amp Amps.)
An available 6 pin PCI-E power connector (hard drive power dongle to PCI-E 6 pin adapter included with card)

Doing research on any product before purchasing is beneficial to the potential buyer or anyone giving advice as such.

A helpful reference links on the subject can be found here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=205763

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=136602

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

offered just in case you need verification

That's really helpful, thanks. I might see if I can grab a Corsair PSU or maybe a Thermeltake with a good AMP rating. I've only got a cheapo 450watt psu, i guess 11k is pretty good then huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back