TechSpot

56k modem help

By Acidwinter
Jun 22, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Im trying to fix a 56k modem problem for a friend and I decided to get a new one because Im pretty sure the other one is fried. So I put it in and I got it to connect and everything but it wont connect above 12k. I mean I know its rare that it ever connects at 56k on a modem but 9k-12k is just frickan crazy. It is extremely slow and wont go any faster. Any thoughts on how to make the connection better?
  2. fastco

fastco TS Rookie Posts: 1,511

3. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

Even with the booster, it will be slow. That`s the nature about dial-up. I`ve had it and really hated it. I tried all the "boosters" available, and still it was the same.

Time to upgrade to broadband, it`s MUCH MUCH better.
  4. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

Did you install the drivers for the modem? also His ISP should have provided him with a disk with a program that has a wizard that configures his modem for connecting with them. did you redo the connection with the new modem?
  5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

most boosters for dial-up are really a waste of time. All they do is compress or filter out graphics (which tend to take the longest for downloading.) You're really not going to speed it up that much.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.