TechSpot

5870 cooling problems

By Ollie30001
May 2, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, i almost killed it, i cant believe it.

I was replacing a failed hard drive and didnt check the sata cable like i always do and of course it was wedged in the cards fan stopping it completly.

Only knew something was up when my monitor went black 3 times during windows installation, so i opend up the pc again to the smell of something cooking, touched the graphics card and actually got 3 blisters on 3 knuckels.

Anyway its still alive but idle temps are now 45-50c when they used to be 35-40c, and load temps are 80-90c when they used to be 65-70c

I THINK all i have done is cooked the thermal compund beyond use, would you agree? what should i use as a replacement?

2. exela

exela TS Rookie

Maybe try clean it a bit. I don't see how the temps would still be up after fan start working again.

3. PaulWuzHere

PaulWuzHere TS Maniac Posts: 378

Submit a help ticket. A friends XFX 5870 XXX Edition was having heat problems. After a help ticket they sent him a BIOS update that really helped with cooling problems. Until then go into catalyst control center and manually bump the fan speed up.

4. Flannelwarrior

Flannelwarrior TS Rookie Posts: 149

I don't see why you can't claim it just burned up of its own accord and get a new one through waranty...that would work, right?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.