(6) 2560x1600 DP monitors - whose card can drive them for work use

Savage1701

It's upgrade time.

I'd like to get a dual-slot Eyefinity card that can drive 6 2560x1600 monitors. These monitors will have DisplayPort inputs, of course. I am not going to try active DP to Dual-Link DVI converters or anything like that.

I am not a gamer. They will be used as a massive desktop, mostly for 2D stock charting, web pages, spreadsheets, etc. I might want to watch a Blu-Ray every now and then, or do a little editing of H.264, so my first choice is a consumer/gamer card with HDCP and HDMI 1.4, not necessarily a workstation card. HDMI 1.3 is fine as well. DirectX 10 or 11 does not really matter to me.

I'm confused because I can't seem to find out which cards/series of ATI-branded products will just let me drop the card in, hook up my 6 monitors, and have a massive 2-tall by 3-long desktop array.

I'm also open to NVIDIA as well.

Can anyone help me on this?

ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition Graphics (has 6 outputs)
But looks like this card is out of the question:
Integrated dual-link DVI output with HDCP15
Max resolution: 2560x1600
Integrated DisplayPort output
Max resolution: 2560x1600
Integrated HDMI 1.3 output with Deep Color, xvYCC wide gamut support, and high bit-rate audio
Max resolution: 1920x1200
Integrated VGA output
Max resolution: 2048x1536
Some outputs are going to max out below the required 2560x1600 that you are after. Looks like it is limited to 6 x 1920x1080.

Any HD6000 series card should drive 6 monitors, although I think they need a displayport adapter to give 6 outputs. Again after some research it looks like you can't run 2560x1600 from all outputs. Either you'd have to settle for 1920x1080 or find another solution. Not sure about a Nvidia setup for 6 monitors at that resolution.

Reading some info about Nvidia solutions, I don't think they have anything that can drive 6 monitors. Hopefully someone with hands on experience can provide some more information.

I'll probably have to go the workstation route. Which is actually fine, since those cards burn so little juice.

Appreciate the comments.

Back