64 bit PC with Vista Ultimate 32 bit

By ClaimCheck
Feb 4, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I really do not want anything to do with Vista. (OK, I got that out of my system)

(I was going to try and load XP PRO on my latest acquisition, a laptop, and not worry about it. After a week or more of scouring the internet for the drivers, I finally gave up when I couldn't get the sATA drivers for the hard drive and returned the HP dv7-1247cl.)

Instead, we went with the more powerful laptop (HP dv7-1260us). It came preloaded with Vista Entertainment or something like that.

I have Vista Ultimate. I was going to just Upgrade to Vista Ultimate. I can not. I get the message saying the UPGRADE is not available since it is a 64-bit PC and I have the 32-bit version of Vista Ultimate.

Can I just go ahead and reformat the hard drive and load the 32-bit version of Vista Ultimate that I have?

Are there any considerations to look out for?

Are there software compatability issue?

Do I Need to give Microsoft more money for a 64-bit version of Vista Ultimate?

What are my options?
  2. ClaimCheck

ClaimCheck Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Hmmm... No replies after 22 hours. OK> I took a leap of faith and installed Vista Ultimate (32 bit) after reformatting the hard drive.

IT WORKED!! And it was amazingly fast too.

I then loaded Office97 followed by my Office2K upgrade. It worked too.

2nd chance. (last chance, too. If I get no response to this next call for help I'll just not come back.)

I can't find where to add users or how to add additional networking protocols.

I can't even figure out, yet, how to add a network connection, wired or wireless.

Any takers? Or do I just pack up my bags and go?

Thanks,

=-=-=CC
  3. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,195   +105

Hi! sorry about the delay! :p

As far as my limited vista knowledge gos....... I will try to be of help :)

You create user accounts and new networks exactly the same way as in windows xp, eg. control panel/user accounts. Network connections, respectively.

I think both 32 and 64 versions are basicly the same animal. However 1 diffrence i know of is 32 bit vista only supports 4 gb of ram wheras 64 does 8gb.

Hope this helps.
  4. ClaimCheck

ClaimCheck Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply. I didn't see User Accounts in the Control Panel. I may have missed it. I will look again.

As for the Network connections... There is not. It is called Network and something... I go into there and I cannot determine how to add a network connection.

I have tried the pull down menus and right clicking... nothing seems to jump out at me and say "HERE I AM!!! ME!! MEEE!! i CAN CREATE THE WIRELESS CONNECTION YOU NEED!!" Nor can I find where to install netbui so I can communicate with my other Win2k and XP machines.

Is there somethng there and I just missed it?

Regards,

=-=-=CC
  5. tw0rld

tw0rld TechSpot Maniac Posts: 609   +6

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.