TechSpot

680i Motherboards

By BizzyBone1337
Dec 28, 2006
  1. Hi... this is my first day in the forum =D im sure you guys are a good group of individuals and i am happy to be a part of this forum.

I am building a new computer and play 1st person shooter games at low resolutions but i would like AA and other visual enhancements ran.

According to TomsHardware Benchmarks an ATI X1950 Crossfire Edition outperformed the Nvidia 8800GTX at low resolutions by a very large margin on hl2.

So based on what i will be using it for a Crossfire setup will be better suited for me. But with DX10 comming out soon, i wanna be prepared to jump over to nvidia in a few years without having to replace my motherboard.

I also want a x6800 intel duo core extreme processor

based on some preliminary research, i have came to the conclusion that 680i boards are great but i would like to run an ATI card for the moment.
    Can i successfully run a crossfire setup on a 680i motherboard?

2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

Nope. Can't do it.

You have to choose a board that either supports crossfire or SLI. One or the other. The 680i chipset is made by Nvidia and only supports SLI. You can of course use a single ATI gpu with the 680i chipset, but you can not configure two ATI cards into a crossfire config.

3. agi_shi

agi_shi TS Rookie Posts: 507

You could find modded drivers running SLI on ANY (including crossfire ones) chipset (and thus have sli + crossfire) - ofcourse, without any guarentee or anything, but it's worth a try =). However, it won't with with a 7950GX2, let alone anything newer (like a 8800 card).

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.