775 Intel Socket with onboard graphics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillAllen55

I'm in the process of choosing which products (components) to use, to build my computer.
I've chosen the motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX with a Wolfdale 3.16 cpu. understanding that this board does not have onboard graphics. I've researched the gigabyte and intel websites and have not been able to come up with a board similar to this board that would have onboard graphics. Can someone either suggest a specific board which would have similar accessories or how to research this type of issue?

I'm also wondering if this type of exercise is similar to putting a volkswagen set of door handles on a Ferrari? I'm not planning on doing any major gaming in the near future but after saying this I would like to have a mobo that would be ready for an eventual upgrade in the future. non professionals can be such a nuisance yeah?

Any motherboard with an Intel G series chipset has onboard graphics. The GA-G31M-ES2L is a good-quality, affordable example of such a board.

Take a look at these ASUS motherboards and see which fits your needs...

ASUS P5KPL-CM LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131288

ASUS P5N7A-VM LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300/nForce 730i HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131348

ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131350

ASUS P5E-VM HDMI LGA 775 Intel G35 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131237

ASUS P5Q-EM DO LGA 775 Intel Q45 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131356

ASUS P5QL-CM LGA 775 Intel G43 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131353

I've chosen the motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX with a Wolfdale 3.16 cpu. understanding that this board does not have onboard graphics.
I'm in the process of building a machine with this very board even as we speak. So, if you want to hold tight for a couple of days, I'll be able to tell you more. I'm be using an E7300 though. I bullied my kid into buying it for me as a Christmas/Birthday present. I didn't have the cajones, 50 bucks price difference, or last but not least patience to wait. Yeah, I stuffed it in the board the minute I got it, so what!
I'm also wondering if this type of exercise is similar to putting a volkswagen set of door handles on a Ferrari?
I think putting an E8400 in a G31 board is like putting a Ferrari engine into a Volkswagen. I have a machine with a GA-G31MX-S2 and Pentium Dual Core E2200 in a MATX case. It's cute, fast, and stable (?) but out of expansion capabilities. I don't know about the later revisions of the G31, but mine is keyed to 65nm CPUs, any of the Wolfdales would require me to update the BIOS. Thanks but no thanks,(long story), I'll build another box. Also, I has an ICH7 southbridge and Intel is at least at ICH10. Please keep in mind that with respect to G31 boards. any of my comments relate only to the one I own, it's well over a year old and discontinued,so I have no idea what they have done with them since.
I'm not planning on doing any major gaming in the near future but after saying this I would like to have a mobo that would be ready for an eventual upgrade in the future. non professionals can be such a nuisance yeah?
Gaming isn't the only issue at stake. Computers are being asked to do more and more tasks and the capabilities built into the P45 chipset you won't outgrow.
The only reason to choose onboard graphics is to have a machine that is temporarily usable without a video card. High def TV out and multiple monitor capability come with the add on card. At least that's why I buy boards with onboard graphics. Also, there's a whole lot more growing room in the ATX form factor board you've chosen, than if you were to go to a MATX board.

I think you're on the right track with your primary choices, and a dynamite system would consist of;

The Gigabyte board you've already chosen

The Intel CPU you've already chosen

Any invocation of an Nvidia 9600GT video card

Rage has done the research on this card, and I defer to him for further comment about it.

A graphics card suggestion please

Ok I really appreciate all of the excellent feedback. What I like so much about this specific forum is that often as not the experts that respond not only provide the expert opinion of one that has been in the business professionally for years but they typically will give the reason why they suggest what they do. For that I thank you.

Now that I'm without graphics onboard and based on the description I've made previously as to my expected habits with this monster of a computer can you please advise what would be the best mid-ranged priced graphics card to compliment this build?

Again thanks for your time!

What's your budget? The HD 4670 is a spanking-fine card for <$100, and the HD 4650 is the next-best option.

The mentioned ASUS Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 is the one I believe will suit me best based on the advice that you have provided.

I will stay in touch as I'm sure I will have questions after putting it together.
Planning on ordering the components on the First of January should be arriving sometime that week.

Regards.

Reporting From Personal Experience........

If any body cares. I just fired up my Gigabyte EP45-UD3R/ E7300 combo and it went off without a hitch. Up and running with Windows installed, XP of course.

I find that interesting

I'm preparing to put together a nearly exact build such as described (in the last reply) .
It has been great fun learning all of things that have passed me by in the last 8 or so years - using my ancient system.
I decided on an Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case found at Newegg.
The case comes with four fans included. When looking at the manual for virtually the same Mobo that you have installed I'm not finding enough power fan headers to accommodate the number of fans installed in the computer case.
My question is: do I look for adapters that will plug directly onto the MB that will then in turn connect the extra fans?
or do I go to an adapter that will plug directly into the power supply?
I'm thinking if I connect directly to the power supply this will disable any type of heat monitoring from the MB.

Would greatly appreciate anyones advice as to what specific adapter would be best to connect all fans.

Did I Mention That My Computer Was Built in an Antec 900...?

Well, Did I? Yes, but not in this thread. It's here....https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic118151.html !

Anyway, none of the boards have "enough" fan headers. That's dependent on which lunatic you ask. Does anybody really think that there should be nine fan headers on a mobo in the first place? I suppose. But I Digress.

Antec's "Tri Cool" fans don't even have connectors to mate with those of the boards headers. They require the same four pin "Molex" type of socket that is used for a DVD drive or IDE HDD. Also the speed control is on the fan, (3 speed obviously), and you must open the case to set the speed. They are defaulted to low. Don't worry low is plenty for anywhere near normal use. Still if you feel like abusing you equipment, but don't actually want to destroy it, it only takes a minute or so to pop the side off and set them for high.

The molex type connectors on Antec's fan can be ganged, (They are M/F. Just plug 1 into the other). There is enough wire to connect all of the case fans together and shove the block into an empty drive bay.

This case is not loud with all the fans on low and it has plenty of airflow for normal use.

Not it won't disable heat monitoring from the motherboard, (that's something different), but it will disable fan speed monitoring. You just set the BIOS to disable fan speed failure warning. (Except on the CPU fan, which absolutely must be connected to the board, and has nothing to do with the case fans anyway).

The fan speed can be predicted, it's the same as is was the day before, unless the fan broke during the night. So, do we really need to start a hardware monitor every time we start our computer? IMHO, NO! Well, unless we have an obsessive compulsive disorder.
The fans could be run through adapter plugs, and driven through the boards headers, or a bay mounted fan control panel. Since the Antec fans are only two wires, in either case you wouldn't have tachometer, which is the yellow 3rd wire in a board driven fan plug. If using a controller panel you'd need to set all the fan switches to "high" The top "Big Boy" fan should be run though the PSU only. For a variety of reasons, it makes no sense to do it otherwise.

It's high irony I tell you, you get three "free" 120mm case fans with an Antec 900, but if you want fan speed monitoring, you have to replace them.

Did I mention that this is a well reguarded, well reviewed, fairly priced case from a well respected company. I'm happy with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back