800 or 512 FSB in 400 FSB mobo work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an Intel D845WN, that has 400 FSB, Intel P4 1.6 Ghz ship in it. Would like a cheap upgrade, like $50 for a P4 2.5 Ghz CPU, but the ones I see out there are 512 or 800 FSB. Anyone tried this in this motherboard, and will I get 2.6 GHz?

if its possible the only think you might be able to do is change the multiplier. Which the multiplier on that is x4, hence 400fsbx4=1600mhz. Say if you were to change the multiplier to 6, it would be 400x6=2400mhz. But I dont know a whole lot about old p4s, if you can change the multiplier but you can check in the bios though.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but I don't think it'll even POST with an 800 {or 512) MHz CPU, so it'd be difficult to change the Multi!!!!

You are probably better saving a bit of cash and getting a cheap Core2 - like an E2160, board & RAM. That'd eat the old P4 for breakfast.

You could always source a used 'board + 800FSB CPU {don't get a Celeron! get the "proper" P4}, but I'm seeing a lot of failing P4 S478 motherboards at work at the moment, so it'd be a bit of a gamble.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll keep it cheap-ish and just get exactly what Intel says to get bus-wise. Can't justify spending much (to get the next generation of good stuff) as I've used up my "spending money on myself" credits with my wife! Looked in to 2.5 P4 Pentium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back