8800 GTX with my specs??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys first of all hello to everyone here as this is my first post :)

Im planning on getting an nvidia gforce 8800 GTX card over the summer once I have enough money! i think the one im planning on getting has got something like 768 mb?? please correct me if im wrong.

I want to just upgrade my graphics card without too much trouble of getting other parts to make one fit. Im planning on getting another gig of RAM aswell to improve the speed of my pc!

im not gonna bother checking how much power or watts my PSU has because im going to buy a new one anyway for the new graphics card.

The only reason Im buying this is because I want to be able to play CRYSIS on medium/high graphics.

so heres my question: could I just buy my gforce 8800 GTX my new RAM and a PSU and plug it in and everything works fine with these specs:

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer XXXGAMER-170B23
Generator xxxgamer
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2007-06-07
Time 17:03

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name XXXGAMER-170B23
User Name ???????

Motherboard:
CPU Type DualCore Intel Pentium D 830, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Intel Lakeport i945P
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (10/07/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6700 XL (128 MB)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (509047465)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801GB ICH7 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Disk Drive ST3250823AS (250 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
Disk Drive Generic USB Mass Storage
Optical Drive SONY DVD RW DW-Q31A
Optical Drive SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615 (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 119208 MB (48514 MB free)
D: (NTFS) 110501 MB (106119 MB free)
E: (FAT32) 8753 MB (4216 MB free)
Total Size 232.9 GB (155.1 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse HID-compliant mouse
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Network Adapter RT2500 USB Wireless LAN Card (192.168.1.2)
Modem Agere Systems PCI-SV92PP Soft Modem

Peripherals:
Printer EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series
USB1 Controller Intel 82801GB ICH7 - USB Universal Host Controller [A-1]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801GB ICH7 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-1]
USB Device C-Media USB 2.0 Mass Storage Controller(0D8C,5200)
USB Device Generic USB Hub
USB Device RT2500 USB Wireless LAN Card
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device X10 USB Wireless Transceiver (ACPI-compliant)

A few replies would be greatly appreciated as Im completely ew to upgrading my pc! :)

Hi and welcome to TechSpot :)

Anyway, i couldn't see any reason why you couldn't upgrade to that ram and graphics card so long as you have a pci-e slot and your motherboard can support the extra gig of ram. You can check what ram and how much your motherboard can support at crucial.com

If you're new to upgrading your pc then don't try and do too much at once. Ram is probably the easiest thing to change, but out the the 3 things you want to get the psu would probably be the most annoying because of all the wires going all over the place and having to plug it all in again.
Remember to de-staticise yourself by touching your case before unplugging it and ground yourself if you can.

Otherwise all i can say is that i hope it all goes ok :)

The video card maybe slightly bottlenecked by your Intel Pentium D. Also if possible upgrade your memory. And if you do get the money to get the card get an eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTX.

Nope

If I where you, I would probably just get the 8800GTS or GTS 320. Your CPU is going to bottleneck a GTX more than a little. The GTS versions dont seem to have that problem and with your system specs you probably wouldint notice a performance differnce with the GTX vs the GTS.

I had a Athlon X2 4200 with 2 gb of RAM and I tried both the GTS and GTX in that system, the GTX performed the same as the GTS at moderate resolutions (what most of us game at). However when I upgraded to a Core 2 Duo E6600 i did this comparison again, this time there was a big diff between the two as the extra CPU power was able to let the GTX stretch its legs a bit more and come ahead of the GTS.

Not bashing your stuff but I beleive a X2 4200 was a step up from your PD 830 for gaming also.

So unless you want to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo, then get the GTS version, your wallet will thank you.

xxxgamer said:
could I just buy my gforce 8800 GTX my new RAM and a PSU and plug it in and everything works fine with these specs
So it would seem.

To other posters - there's always a bottleneck somewhere. If the original poster says I want to just upgrade my graphics card without too much trouble of getting other parts to make one fit, why do you still insist on your "recommendations" ?

Because

I am not salesman, I dont need to boost him into buying a more expensive card. I dont want somone buying somthing that they wont need. I told him about the GTS comparison because I know first hand that the GTX will operate about the same with his hardware, I have been there and know this first hand. Its like putting a 4 cylinder motor in a full size truck, im sure it will move the truck but how fast ?

If I can help somone not waiste money, why not ?

It might not be a waste though. That 8800GTX is a beast, and you can expect it to run games reasonably well even 3 years from now.

You can re-use a card in a different build in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back