TechSpot

8800GT, how much power needed?

By JohnnyDollar
Oct 16, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was going to purchase a PNY 8800GT 512 GDDR3 256 bit graphics card but i wanted to make sure my computer could hanlde something like this. I have a dell 4700 motherboard
    P4 3.2 Ghz CPU
    1.75 gigs of RAM 1 gig(2x512)+512mb(1x512)+256MB (4 slots total)
    320 gig hard drive
    X-fi extreme gamer sound card
    480 watt power supply

Is that enough power for that card on my system. I know that PCI-E 2.0 works on regular PCI-E so i dont need to worry about that, and i don't have a 6pin power connector for PCI-e but the card comes with a 6pin adapter for cables my power supply does have so that's good, but do i need more power or am i good, or just barely making it. I dont want to fry another card because i didn't have enough power.
  2. BorisandBailey

BorisandBailey TS Enthusiast Posts: 206

I'm not familiar with Dell products, but just offhand, if your graphics card is in the $50 to $75 range, I think it should handle your power supply. I have a 550-watt Ultra power supply, a lower mid-range ASUS motherboard for $90, and a PNY 8000 Nvidia graphics card and everything's fine.
  3. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.