'90s kids, rejoice! Hi-C Ecto Cooler is returning this summer (as is Clearly Canadian)

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Ready for a blast, err... splash, from the past? Coca-Cola, parent company of Hi-C maker Minute Maid, has announced it’ll be bringing back the “ghoulishly green” Ecto Cooler citrus juice drink next month after a 15-year hiatus.

Fans of the flavored juice may remember that it initially debuted in 1987 through a promotional tie-in with the Ghostbusters movie franchise. The beverage was only expected to stick around for a short while but its immense popularity led to it remaining on store shelves for well over a decade before being discontinued in 2001.

Why bring it back now? Sony Pictures' reboot of the original Ghostbusters starring Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones and Chris Hemsworth is set to arrive this summer (there’s also a couple of new games in the works from Activision). In celebration of the film, Coca-Cola is reviving the Ecto Cooler on May 30 – plenty of time to get reacquainted before the movie lands in theaters on July 15.

If that weren’t enough for ‘90s kids to get excited about, you’ll be happy to learn that Clearly Canadian is also staging a comeback this summer following a successful crowdfunding campaign. The nostalgia-inducing flavored water beverage was expected to be back on store shelves by this point but as luck would have it, the bottling plant shut down midway through production of the first batch destined for backers.

Some have received partial orders while others are still waiting (some have even shown up on eBay). The new owners expect production to resume in June.

Permalink to story.

Great, a crappy movie drink gets revived for an even crappier reboot, thanks for this, and here I thought I could pretend like they didn't try to get as much money out of this franchise as possible. Must be one hell of a slow day in the tech world if this is worth a mention...

10% Fruit Juice ..... God only knows what the other 90% will be other than sucrose and water. And we let our kids drink this garbage?

Great, a crappy movie drink gets revived for an even crappier reboot, thanks for this, and here I thought I could pretend like they didn't try to get as much money out of this franchise as possible. Must be one hell of a slow day in the tech world if this is worth a mention...
I know it just looks like they're rebooting an old popular movie with a nod to diversity (they're women this time!), but you have to remember Hollywood is completely out of new ideas. And think of all the cool effects they'll be able to use!

They also missed the point of Ghostbusters. It wasn't a good movie because it had ghosts or special effects. It was a good movie because it had Bill Murray, Rick Moranis, Dan Aykryod and Harold Ramis all in the same movie during their prime. They could have done a movie about a daycare and it would have worked. This new movie will probably be a letdown simply because the expectations will be so high.

10% Fruit Juice ..... God only knows what the other 90% will be other than sucrose and water. And we let our kids drink this garbage?

The natural sugar in juice causes cavities just as well as good ol' high fructose corn syrup. Best to stick to water and milk if you want to keep your dentist happy. :)

I know it just looks like they're rebooting an old popular movie with a nod to diversity (they're women this time!), but you have to remember Hollywood is completely out of new ideas. And think of all the cool effects they'll be able to use!

I've been trying to avoid pointing that out at the fear of sounding sexist, but yeah, throw a bunch of B grade female actors into starring/supporting roles and slap Ghostbusters on it just doesn't make a movie worth a damn. Even having most of the original cast return for whatever reason, besides having Ernie Hudson repeat the famous "That's a big Twinkie" line of course, this movie is going to tank for anyone who enjoyed the original. Sadly I feel millennials are going to eat it up without realizing just how much of a disgrace it truly is, having never seen the original or thinking the original was boring because they can't appreciate anything older than they are...

Crappy?! Were you even alive when this drink was on the shelf?

This is the best news in a decade! Freaking love me some ecto cooler!

I think you're the only one... Hi-C only contains about 10% real juice, delightful.

Alive yes, and clearly know more about it than you, if you loved it so damn much you would know it never actually disappeared, Minute Maid discontinued the product in 2001, at which point it was renamed Shoutin' Orange Tangergreen, but the drink dates back to the mid 60s when it was originally named Citrus Cooler.

I think you're the only one... Hi-C only contains about 10% real juice, delightful.

Alive yes, and clearly know more about it than you, if you loved it so damn much you would know it never actually disappeared, Minute Maid discontinued the product in 2001, at which point it was renamed Shoutin' Orange Tangergreen, but the drink dates back to the mid 60s when it was originally named Citrus Cooler.

Pew, pew.

Remember McDonald's Orange drink? It was the perfect blend of sugar and artificial flavoring. If McD's had a throwback the clock day and brought back the orange drink, they'd have lines around the block.

Back