9550's driver update problem drives me MAD ~x(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I brought an ATI Radeon 9550 256 mb, the other day ( yeah I know it's old :D )...whatever... I tried it with the driver it came with ( Version: 6.14.10.6444, Date: 4/21/2004 )... Worked nice, all was OK, I played "Nexus: The Jupiter Incident", for a couple of hors, worked fine... Then I said: "hey, let's take the newest driver from the ATI site"... Took it ( had an ATI Radeon 9200 SE 128 mb, before, so I am not new with ATI products ), uninstalled the old driver it came with, including all the other ATI programs, then I installed the new Driver... No Errors, during the install, restart, then, SURPRISE: it didn't install... I went into the Device Manager - it was there, installed, and all, went into the Display Control Panel - It wasn't there... Weird... I removed it ( yeah, apparently it was installed - it was in the Add/Remove Programs list )... Tried again: same result, then I installed the old Driver... It worked perfectly... I tried the new one, again... Nothing... Then I said that it must be from Windows... I reinstalled Windows... I installed the New driver, it didn't work, again... I restarted the computer, nothing... I restarted again ( as I saw on some forum, that it worked for a similar problem, for somebody ), and it worked... I then installed "The Chronicles of Riddick", it worked, not awsome, but great, at 1024x768 resolution, full detail... I played for am hour or two, had to close the computer, and soon after I restarted it again... I got the same problem, the driver, apparently wasn't installed... I restarted it, it worked... I played some more Riddick, then I went to bed.... This morning, I started my computer, no driver... I restarted it: nothing... I've restarted it, several times, nothing... I gave up, and installed the old driver... It woked, but, the game wasn't the same, it had all these display problems, like green and pink dots all over the place... I then tried some other drivers ( think I tried half of the drivers on ATI's site... ) NOTHING... I don't know what to do, I started changing setings in bios, nothing... Now they're back to normal, and I'm using my old driver, but can't get the same reults as I did with the other one that won't work, now...

What to do? I saw that the 9550 series is quite a tricky thing... But didn't found anyone that experienced the same problem... Help, please?

Nearly 15% of new computer electronics fail in the first 30 days... if they make it past that initial 30 days, they can go a long time. Graphics cards are highly vulnerable. Call ATI tech support...
Sometimes you can go back to an earlier version of the drivers and have success.

I believe the latest catalyst doesn't support the 9550. I use catalyst 6.3 with no problems as i also have a 9550.

For what it's worth the newest Catalyst driver does support the 9550. It is the 9200/9250 series it no longer supports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back