TechSpot

9550's driver update problem drives me MAD ~x(

By Tribal_Lord
Jan 6, 2007
  1. Ok, so I brought an ATI Radeon 9550 256 mb, the other day ( yeah I know it's old :D )...whatever... I tried it with the driver it came with ( Version: 6.14.10.6444, Date: 4/21/2004 )... Worked nice, all was OK, I played "Nexus: The Jupiter Incident", for a couple of hors, worked fine... Then I said: "hey, let's take the newest driver from the ATI site"... Took it ( had an ATI Radeon 9200 SE 128 mb, before, so I am not new with ATI products ), uninstalled the old driver it came with, including all the other ATI programs, then I installed the new Driver... No Errors, during the install, restart, then, SURPRISE: it didn't install... I went into the Device Manager - it was there, installed, and all, went into the Display Control Panel - It wasn't there... Weird... I removed it ( yeah, apparently it was installed - it was in the Add/Remove Programs list )... Tried again: same result, then I installed the old Driver... It worked perfectly... I tried the new one, again... Nothing... Then I said that it must be from Windows... I reinstalled Windows... I installed the New driver, it didn't work, again... I restarted the computer, nothing... I restarted again ( as I saw on some forum, that it worked for a similar problem, for somebody ), and it worked... I then installed "The Chronicles of Riddick", it worked, not awsome, but great, at 1024x768 resolution, full detail... I played for am hour or two, had to close the computer, and soon after I restarted it again... I got the same problem, the driver, apparently wasn't installed... I restarted it, it worked... I played some more Riddick, then I went to bed.... This morning, I started my computer, no driver... I restarted it: nothing... I've restarted it, several times, nothing... I gave up, and installed the old driver... It woked, but, the game wasn't the same, it had all these display problems, like green and pink dots all over the place... I then tried some other drivers ( think I tried half of the drivers on ATI's site... ) NOTHING... I don't know what to do, I started changing setings in bios, nothing... Now they're back to normal, and I'm using my old driver, but can't get the same reults as I did with the other one that won't work, now...

What to do? I saw that the 9550 series is quite a tricky thing... But didn't found anyone that experienced the same problem... Help, please?

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Your ATI Radeo 9550 has likely reached the end of its useful product life.

3. Tribal_Lord

Tribal_Lord TS Rookie Topic Starter

I just bought it, for god's sake!

4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Nearly 15% of new computer electronics fail in the first 30 days... if they make it past that initial 30 days, they can go a long time. Graphics cards are highly vulnerable. Call ATI tech support...
    Sometimes you can go back to an earlier version of the drivers and have success.

5. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

I believe the latest catalyst doesn't support the 9550. I use catalyst 6.3 with no problems as i also have a 9550.

6. Tribal_Lord

6.3? I'll try that, then... Thanks...

7. Tribal_Lord

^^^ 6.3 did not work either... :(

8. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

Perhaps you have a faulty card then?!?!

9. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,980   +362

For what it's worth the newest Catalyst driver does support the 9550. It is the 9200/9250 series it no longer supports.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.