98 explorer.exe fatal error on bootup

By Gidge
Jan 28, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, I my friend has brought me her laptop with windows 98 on it. On bootup everytime explorer.exe has a fatal exception.

when I hit ctrl alt delete there are only two programs running Gbpoll (go back)and Ati2plab (monitor/videocard driver?) both which are okay files.

I really don't know where to go from there.

I have made a boot disk from another win98 computer. Thinking I can boot in Dos and check things out but not sure what to look for.

I have tried goback but it only goes back an hour or so. There are further dates back listed. :(

She does not have a disk for it but I have a windows 2000 disk(from classes I took) I could do a fresh install from but we tried that once before on this computer and it just froze. :(

Thanks for any ideas,

Gidge
  2. Gidge

Gidge Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Well I made a boot disk and I put it in and it goes to drive A just fine. Thing is I can not get it to change to c no matter what i do. i did fdisk and it says that the drive is such and such big, but it refuses to change to c.

i wanted to make sure I used the right thing to change.

i tried C: , cd c:, cdriv c: , cd c , c , cdriv c

nothing works.

it is acting as if the harddrive is not even there. is there a way for me to test to see if it is there?

thanks again,

Gidge :)
  3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Well when you boot to the boot disk you need to keep an eye for where it tells you the files are loaded to. Like it is probably loaded to D or something. But to change drives you are correct by typing C: or D: or whatever.

BTW
    :wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.