A difference btwn AGP 1x, 4x, & 8x?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bokenbladebum

Welcome all. I thank you for looking in on my post here. My question (foolish at that) is this: Is there a difference in 1x, 4x, and 8x AGP? By that I am asking if an AGP 4x card will fit in a AGP 1x slot? Heck, is there even a difference in AGP slots? I thank you all for the information that you provide, if you choose to do so, and hope that my issue can be resolved, as well as for others who may be asking the same question.

Well 8x (agp version 3) is the fastest bing 2 times faster then 4x.

You have to have a compatible agPort, 1x is not complant with 4x and 8x Graphic cards.

If you're are considering for gaming, I recommened you upgrade to PCI-e (16x)
motherboard and 16x video card . Being almost 2times faster then 8x agp.

AGP cards are backwards compatible. IF you put a 8x card in a 1x slot, it will run at 1x.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

bokenbladebum said:
Welcome all. I thank you for looking in on my post here. My question (foolish at that) is this: Is there a difference in 1x, 4x, and 8x AGP? By that I am asking if an AGP 4x card will fit in a AGP 1x slot? Heck, is there even a difference in AGP slots? I thank you all for the information that you provide, if you choose to do so, and hope that my issue can be resolved, as well as for others who may be asking the same question.

Take a look HERE for lots of info about AGP.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I thank all of you. Considering my options/income, I still must use AGP. But, on this note, I thank you again for your swift replies and helpful information. I believe the link you provided can answer all my questions. I hope this helps others out as well.

Tedster said:
AGP cards are backwards compatible. IF you put a 8x card in a 1x slot, it will run at 1x.

I thought they had different types of connectors.

You learn something new everyday (here at techspot) :knock:

I don't mean to bother you all again..but my needs have changed. Now I am wonderning whether PCI-E is reverse compatible. IE: I own a Nvidia Geforce 6800xt PCI-E 16x and my computer is only PCI-E 1x.

Stats are as of yet unsure considering that I'm in the buying stages of a new computer.

Unfortunately, no. You can not use a PCIexpress x16 graphics card in a PCIexpress x1 slot.

You must have a PCI-E 16x slot on your motherboard in order to be able to use that type of graphics card.

Wow! ver 3 uses alot less energy to transfer data between mobo and gpu, i never knew that, i thought it was more, interesting. And hmm isnt a nvidia 5600fx newer than the Ti series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back