A Fiber Optic Home Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMHar

How can I set up a fiber optic network in my home? I know nothing about it, and have no idea what I would need to do to make it run. Any advice? I can find specs on the cable itself, and plenty of info on commercial fiber optic network providers, but nothing on how to do it myself.

Avoid fiber-optic

Not trying to be mean or something, by why would you need a fiber-optic setup at home? The prices are really high for something like that, and it requires a lot of time, money, and equipment.

Fiber lines are mostly used for internet backbones and are professionally installed. Honestly, unless you're a network professional, don't try it. I'm sure you'll run into so many problems you'll never finish it anyways.

Stick with Cat5e for now...but in the future fiber will become the standard.

I got curious about it when I saw all of the old cable that that my company was discarding now that they've installed new cable.

They're getting rid of fiber-optic cable? I'd grab some just for fun...but I have no idea how or what to use to make it work.

Fibre Optical Cable is capable of transmitting gigabits of data a second, who would it be repalced unless damaged. BT are still upgrading there network to FO.

For home use you need nothing more than 100MB/sec Tbase10x

For home use you need nothing more than 100MB/sec Tbase10x

Yup,
Considering that your internet speed is probably no more then 10mb/s upload, (and prob1/5 that download) you won't need fiberoptic for probably another 5-10, possibly 15-20 years, when internet speed reach 1gig+ speeds.

It's pretty much plug and play like CAT5.

Setting up that stuff would cost you a fortune though.. In addition to the fibre itself you'd need media converters or native fibre optic devices to be able to connect the optics to your computers.

Not to mention that fibre is a PITA to route. You can't turn any sharp corners with it and something as trivial as someone stepping on the cable can break it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back