A good book to be familiar with Linux

abbasi

Hello guys,

I'm a C++ programmer. And I'm also studying computer networking. I have heard many things about that how much the Linux is important in computer networking/networks and computer administration area. I think most popular distribution is Ubuntu but not sure whether it's also that important on networking area or not. Until now I have been only a Windows user (though I'm reading about the FreeBSD handbook to be familiar with it and also installed the Ubuntu on my virtual machine Vmware). I don't know what distribution is more important in that area and I'm somewhat confused what distribution/book I should start to work/read. Please tell me some info in this case and also suggest me an excellent book on the area of computer networking/networks.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, at that admission absolves me of guilt.

I think you might want to deal with the commercial distros of Linux, such as "Red Hat". These are sold supported. But, I have no real idea if they're in the forefront now, or not.

But yeah, with Ubuntu, you just might be able to get a copy of, "Windows for Cheapskates", and read between the lines....;)

Thanks again.
They are grate. And I'd like to read a good textbook and then prepare myself to go into those two site deeply. I have chosen two ones about Linux (for beginners). If you like I can name them and you say your opinion to guide me once again.

I don't know what distribution is more important in that area.
The difference between distributions is not all that major. As a programmer, you will want to make sure you have the Server features (Apache, Perl, PHP, MySql, SMTP, FTP, SNMP). When I was moving software (aka "porting" as it's known) between Unix (SunOS, HP, SGI, IBM) & Linux systems, the location of the source code header files (eg: stdio.h) would sometimes be in different location, but seldomly was it necessary to alter the program logic.

What we see most often is the Desktop variations w/o server functionality and you will not even get a compiler, let alone the server components.

Because "The difference between distributions is not all that major", and I have worked a little with Ubuntu, so I choose it for starting to be familiar with Linux. And I have two small books that I want to read them simultaneously with working on Ubuntu.

Thanks guys for your guidance.

BOOKS! did you say books!!!! Your on the internet everything is always available to you 24/7/365. There is no book that will ever take the place of blogs, forums and online documentation.

Learn Linux commands: Search google.. Use the command txt's for the distro you choose.
http://linuxcommand.org/
http://ss64.com/bash/

I highly suggest diving straight in and using the setup txt's for the distro's. Use these as you setup your linux OS. Get the technical stuff not the consumer/everyday user watered down crap. If your a programmer you know what I mean.

Server side of Linux I suggest only: CentOS(RedHat), Ubuntu Server
Client side of Linux I suggest: What ever works for you.

If you want really want to learn linux in and out I suggest you use Arch Linux as your personal OS.

In the end they are all molded to the way you want to work which is why Linux is the best platform OS you can work with and experiment with.

You can take the help of books to learn computer networking:-
Internetworking with TCP/IP Vol.1: Principles, Protocols, Networking & TCP/IP and Architecture
-by Douglas E. Comer
=
TCP/IP Network Administration
-by Craig Hunt
-
Patterns in Network Architecture - A Return to Fundamentals
- by John Day

And as far as your second questions, I highly recommend you yo learn red hat linux, as current it is the most popular distribution in the linux operating system.

I completely agree with you opinion @SNGX1275, for the personal use majority of the people use windows operating system. And the Linux and its distribution like Ubuntu, Red Hat Linux etc. are mostly used in the corporate sector.

I want to upload "Introduction To Linux: A hands on Guide" version 1.27 copyright 2008. Good one for beginner.

A lot of good advice. First, any decent book on Unix will help understand the underlaying concepts behind Linux (or FreeBSD), or any "nix" variant (Unix clones). I have found "Linux Unleashed" (SAM'S Publishing) to be quite good. You may also find "Linux Programming Unleashed" (also Sam's) to be decent. If you have used book stores in your area, you may find a mother lode of Linux books.

As far as the Linux variants go, once you understand the basics of "nix" systems, you will find the differences to be on how they handle what I will loosely call workload - e.g., installing packages - RedHat uses RPM (RedHat Package Manager - filetype .rpm), Debian (which includes distros like Ubuntu, Mint, and others, use Apt (or GDebi) - filetype .deb) - installing certain utilities specific to that distribution group.

You will find RedHat popular with servers and Mint and Ubuntu (both Debian derivatives) popular on the desktop/laptop. That's not to say either of those (or others) won't also work in the other environment (server/desktop). A couple of key items on the desktop is the desktop environment (DE - DE can also mean Debian Edition). Different distros may have "preferred DEs" - e.g., MATE, Cinnamon,. Gnome 3, Unity, etc. They will also install "preferred packages", e.g., WINE (for running Windows programs natively under Linux, different music/video players, different windowing themes and other preferred applications. That is not to say what gets automatically installed in one distro won't work if manually installed on another distro.

A good starting point is the Wikipedia (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux ). BTW, Linux actually refers to the kernel. You can see a map of the kernel here: http://www.makelinux.net/kernel_map/ . A mapping of the Linux Distributions timeline can be found at http://futurist.se/gldt/wp-content/uploads/11.06/gldt1106.png (which can be magnified) and also at wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution .

Personally, I prefer Linux Mint with the MATE DE - close to Windows - I used Ubuntu in the past, but with their 11.04 release, they switched from a Gnome 2 DE to the Unity DE - which reminded me too much of Windows 8 (Metro). ZorinOS allows for DE themes similar to Windows XP, Windows 7, MAC as well as Gnonme 2. They are all Debian-based distros. I also have an Intel M series laptop that uses Linux Mint DE (Debian Edition) which supports those M series chips (no PAE) and also provides rolling updates (no need to re-install the next release).

As one commenter pointed out, you can find a lot of information to read on the internet (if that is your preferred mode - I prefer books as I can paper clip or use "Postit" stickers to mark specific pages. Good luck.

Back