A good power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rab2140

Hi all. I was wondering if some one could give me the name of a good powersupply i have a 600 watt at the minute and it is rubbish. It was cheap and i feel like my components are not getting all the power it needs.

In my computer at the minute i am have:

1. 1 8800 gtx stock speeds
2. 2 250 gb hitachi deskstar hdd
3. 5 case fans ( 3 120mm) (1 80 mm) ( pcie exhast)
4. asrock mobo (AM2NF6G-VSTA)
5. 2gb ddr 2 ram
6. amd athlon 64 x2 5000+

is 600 watts enought is tht why im thinking that my components are not gett all their power? i was thinking about buying the Thermaltake W0106 700 Watt Power Supply.

Thanks for the help.

I'm probably going to get someone else in here right after I say this arguing it, but you don't need a 700W PSU.

What is your price range?

My price range is between 50 - 70 pounds im sure i would need a 700 watt it does feel like my power supply is struggling when i plug all my fans in. To be honest i think it is just a rubbish psu lol ty zeno ;)

This is my PSU, and I am convinced it will run your system without struggling. Take a look at my specs, your GTX no doubt pulls more than my GTS, but that PSU can handle it.

We frequently have PSU debates around here, and this is likely to turn into one. Its not the wattage of the PSU that matters, its the quality of the PSU and, when high end video cards are involved, the amperage on the 12V rail.

couldnt find your psu sng lol and zeno 1200 watt:O lol as you said sng and i agree you need a good psu y0u could have a 1200 watt psu but if its rubbish ur hardware will not benfit im just looking for an affordable psu that can power my hardware as it should be that thermal take one looks good. and funny zeno u should say i dont need that much i done a psu caculator and it said i only needed a 450 watt :p grr i hate psus

No, you don't need a bigger PSU. But if you don't believe me... Let me share with you a little gem...

At Intel, during server validation, we had dual core, dual CPU servers (Xeons that use twice the wattage your little AMD does, each), 4GB+ memory, at least 2 drives... 700w PSUs. Given the nature of servers, you KNOW the engineers planned a spacious headroom as far as wattage goes.

A second example.. In the consumer equipment validation lab, ~500W PSUs were standard. Many of the test systems were Prescotts (3.6GHz, very power hungry) or Core 2 Duo (2.4Ghz - cutting edge then, this was 6 months before the Core Duo) with 2 x GeForce 7800 GTX in SLI, 3GB RAM and 2 x WD Raptors in RAID 0, not to mention premium components like high end sound cards, newest Intel reference boards (Badaxe etc, Broadwater..)

Considering these are labs for validation, there is no room for error, so the general consensus was 500W (Usually Antec) PSUs were more than enough. And they were.

And for the final decision, you can use something like killawatt to find out what your computer's REAL power usage is. I bet money your computer's peak consumption doesn't even break 350w.

Ah it is becoming more apparent that it is quality over quantity in my case . But i cant understand how a 600 watt psu buckles under my hardware all hardware in my case uses every molex on my psu . There is not one spare molex on my psu that has not been used. so what do you all recommend i will base my decision on what is said here:p lol

Rab2140. The 12V rail on that one is good enough for any video card out there right now. But its a single rail with 30A. Now don't get me wrong, single rails can be quite good, and are on the PC Power&Cooling PSUs. But I've not heard of that brand, I would feel safer if you would go with an Enermax Liberty PSU or an Enermax Noisetaker II (not the noisetaker Is, they are pretty old now and weaker on the 12V rails).

I think if you got a Liberty or Noisetaker at or above 450 you'd be fine. For your piece of mind I'd say 485 (noisetaker II) or higher by Enermax would be plenty for you.

Now obviously you don't have to go Enermax, I'm just telling you from my personal expierence.

Is there no retailers you can buy from around there? I'm skeptical of ebay.

That is a good PSU though. BUT its 17A on the 12V, thats not bad, the problem is these guys made 3 12V rails rather than 2 or 1. But if you follow Ohms law, if 17A is right thats still 204W dedicated to just that rail (if needed). That GTX will pull a lot, but I don't think it will pull 204W. I know it won't pull 204W. The question becomes whether or not it pulls 85% (my offhand estimate of the efficiency of that psu) which is 173.4W. I'm less confident in that. Might want to look at spec sheets for that GTX and make sure it doesn't actually use 175W.

Yea i know magic but i know the ways of ebay but saying that i did buy my current psu from ebay and well we can all see where that has got me lol so is a 500watt plenty? for what is in my system

Well I don't think it can be anywhere near that high, but I don't have spec sheets in front of me, can you link where you found that?

If you are right on that, then that Antec won't work. It would if you wired 2 12V rails together but I doubt you want to do that.

Edit: Talkign with Tarkus in the IRC room, his 8800GTX takes 4 power connectors. 4 6Pin connectors, now, that no longer requires all the amps to come from 1 rail. So that 3 12V rail system would be fine if you split up where the power is coming from.

Antec Neopower 500GB power supply
LOL. That's the most storage capacity I've ever seen on a PSU! :D

The Antec 500w NeoPower is actually the same PSU we used at Intel (I had mentioned 500w Antecs). We had a LOT of these. So I can vouch they are good and it really should be more than adequate for your system.

The Colorsit 600W you linked too is passive PFC... You want active PFC if possible because it is more efficient and more stable. You'll get the most out of you 500w with the Antec Neopower... There may be better PSUs out there for the money (not sure), but the Neopower IS a good PSU.

I dunno if I can offer any wisdom but I'm running a BFG 8800 GTX OC on a ~500W Enermax power supply. I'm also running my C2D at 3500 Mhz. I used to be a fan of Antec but I had problems with 5V sagging when using high power nVidia boards. My Enermax PS has had rock solid voltages even under high demand. Multiple power rails is nice to have, you can divide the load onto both rails, with each rail powering a power connector on the video card. A good 495W Enermax supply runs $80-90 and be more than enough for all your needs

Looks like load is under 200w for sure. Here are some references.

Thanks to all those transistors, a single e-GeForce 8800 GTX draws a whopping 165 watts of power.
http://www.barrys-rigs-n-reviews.com/reviews/2007/hardware/ev88gtx/ev88gtx1.htm

"With huge die size comes huge power consumption as the 8800 GTX pulls approximately 40 more watts than ATI's flagship even when sitting still." [345w load, 265w idle for the whole computer]
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTIxOCwxNiwsaGVudGh1c2lhc3Q=

The 8800 GTX is also very power hungry, using up to 185 watts of power and requiring two PCI-E power connectors to operate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back