A new Branch of OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodRaven

ive heard that there is going to be a new company working on a OS thats supposed to be a lot better than windows and because windows linux and mac os are really the only three majot os i wonder how its going to impact the os industry.

it has a wierd code name, like all other os in development but i cant remember where i saw it, but then again i saw it on the web so for all i know its a big joke, but that would be intresting if its not.

He's probably talking about SUN's "Project Looking Glass". I saw the video about a demo they had at a conference, they didn't offer much details about the advantages of moving to this new OS aside from getting some nice 3D desktop. Windows might not be the best OS out there, but it's going to take more than just a pretty 3D desktop to convince the crowds to move over to some new OS. Now that SUN has presumably joined forces with Microsoft, the chances of "Looking Glass" to reach the stores have turned very slim.

actually i think thats what it was called was looking glass, yea that sounds really familiar. i didnt know if it was even real or no becasue i saw it on a web site a while ago and i just remembered about looking at it and tried to explain what it was to see if some one knew what i was talking about.

There's also a number of 3d desktop windows projects going on. For example, this one seems to have progressed nicely (For windows XP): http://www.hamar.sk/sphere/

Of course, if I ever need more desktop space, I'll just go dual monitors.

If I knew the first thing about writing an operating system, I might say that it would be a great idea if any number of us frequenting Techspot got together to design and write our own little desktop OS.

But I don't know the first thing about it. At best I know very little about it.

Still. I wonder what it would be like. It would have to be better than the original Win98. lol

I guess anybody interested in such a thing would be more likely to be interested in further improving Linux though.

Check out this OS, all I know about it is what I've read and seen on its site, but it looks pretty sweet, and I have a spare computer I could try it out on...

www.skyos.org

Imagine 80 year old granny trying to figure out how to navigate in 3 dimensions. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back