TechSpot

a slight concern

By scooby
Feb 23, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the other day i was putting in a new dvd rom when i noticed there is a some play in my cpu heatsink, i also move my pc around alot to other ppl;s houses for lan setups etc... and was wondering if im gonna do any damage soon by rubbing away the thermal paste from vibration and movment? i have checked the temps and reaches 50- 54 deg C under loads. the heatsink is a coolermaster aero 7+ setup. thinking about it even worse i could chip or sratch the die on the cpu and that would not be a good thing :(

2. lowman

lowman TS Rookie Posts: 446

Your Temps seem normal...from what I have learned 45 degrees Celsius is fine under no load...not sure about the thermal paste wearing away from movement - if that's happeneing, perhaps it wasn't a secure bond in the first place? I will defer to some of our resident experts...

3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

If the HSF is very heavy, it is a good idea to remove it when you're transporting your case from one place to another.

& that goes for an AMD CPU or an Intel. Even if you can't chip the core thanks to the CPU's IHS ( Interated Heat Spreader ), you can put some unwanted stress on the board.

Read this thread -> Machine has entered a downward spiral ever since taking an airplane ride...

Come again ? :confused:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.