TechSpot

a slight concern

By scooby
Feb 23, 2004
  1. the other day i was putting in a new dvd rom when i noticed there is a some play in my cpu heatsink, i also move my pc around alot to other ppl;s houses for lan setups etc... and was wondering if im gonna do any damage soon by rubbing away the thermal paste from vibration and movment? i have checked the temps and reaches 50- 54 deg C under loads. the heatsink is a coolermaster aero 7+ setup. thinking about it even worse i could chip or sratch the die on the cpu and that would not be a good thing :(

2. lowman

lowman TS Rookie Posts: 380

Your Temps seem normal...from what I have learned 45 degrees Celsius is fine under no load...not sure about the thermal paste wearing away from movement - if that's happeneing, perhaps it wasn't a secure bond in the first place? I will defer to some of our resident experts...

3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

If the HSF is very heavy, it is a good idea to remove it when you're transporting your case from one place to another.

& that goes for an AMD CPU or an Intel. Even if you can't chip the core thanks to the CPU's IHS ( Interated Heat Spreader ), you can put some unwanted stress on the board.

Read this thread -> Machine has entered a downward spiral ever since taking an airplane ride...

Come again ? :confused:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.