A Troubling Tale of Toshiba Tinkering

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI all,

really need your help. I offered to help a friend upgrade the memory in their Toshiba Satellite 1110/1115. I went on crucial.com and ordered the memory. It arrived and I popped it in. But now, whenever I turn on the laptop, it starts up...but the screen is totally blank! I can hear the hard drive working but I can't see anything. I tried attaching it to an external monitor...but that's not working either. I had a bit of trouble getting the momory in at first, and I'm worried I might have knocked a wire loose or something? I have no experience with Toshibas...IS there a magic button somewhere? please advise.

thanks.

UPDATE:

Thank you for your posts, and I apologise for the first post being a bit light on detail. The laptop had two ports for memory, I put the new memory in and got the blank screen. I was wrong about the HDD working, it was just the fan. When I took the new memory back out (i.e. returned it to its original configuration) the same problem occured. SO I played around with it a bit more after posting and found that if I put the new memory in the original (primary) port) and removed the old memory altogether, it works. Which leads me to suspect that somehow I managed to break/corrupt the original memory? it does not work with the old memory in either port.... Is this possible? I was grounded at the time and I think the fact that the new memory works is a pretty good indication that I wasn't messing up too much....has anybody heard of this happening before? Should I throw the old memory out and juswt order a matching 256mb upgrade from Crucial?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back