TechSpot

A Troubling Tale of Toshiba Tinkering

By StephenToshiba
Sep 4, 2007
  1. HI all,

really need your help. I offered to help a friend upgrade the memory in their Toshiba Satellite 1110/1115. I went on crucial.com and ordered the memory. It arrived and I popped it in. But now, whenever I turn on the laptop, it starts up...but the screen is totally blank! I can hear the hard drive working but I can't see anything. I tried attaching it to an external monitor...but that's not working either. I had a bit of trouble getting the momory in at first, and I'm worried I might have knocked a wire loose or something? I have no experience with Toshibas...IS there a magic button somewhere? please advise.

thanks.

UPDATE:

Thank you for your posts, and I apologise for the first post being a bit light on detail. The laptop had two ports for memory, I put the new memory in and got the blank screen. I was wrong about the HDD working, it was just the fan. When I took the new memory back out (i.e. returned it to its original configuration) the same problem occured. SO I played around with it a bit more after posting and found that if I put the new memory in the original (primary) port) and removed the old memory altogether, it works. Which leads me to suspect that somehow I managed to break/corrupt the original memory? it does not work with the old memory in either port.... Is this possible? I was grounded at the time and I think the fact that the new memory works is a pretty good indication that I wasn't messing up too much....has anybody heard of this happening before? Should I throw the old memory out and juswt order a matching 256mb upgrade from Crucial?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,984   +168

Did you try installing the old memory again?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.