A very loud fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi i was wondering if someone could help me with a problem? My computer when it becomes hot sets off an extremely loud fan, this noise is fine during the day but at 2 in the morning it wakes the whole street up. The fan seems to always go off when a game(such as the games aol provide free) is being played. It reaches 62oc and blasts out to all and sundry. This is a recent phenomenon as i have had several marathon sessions over the past two years of mahjong garden (which is hardly halo in-terms of graphics usage) without the fan being as loud as this.

I have a Compaq presario sr1000 and i'm extremely limited in my computer knowledge so any help would be most welcome.

Name the fan

What fan is it ? Your case has more then 1.If it's the power supply,
get a new one.
With as you say limited knowledge,you might need to take it to a repair shop.
We all start out this way.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Switch off the computer and unplug it from the mains. Open the case and clean out all the dust bunnies etc. Use a can of compressed air to get rid of the dust on and around the heatsinks/fans etc. See if that helps any.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

It's a Sunon KD1209PTS1. Thats what it says on the back of the one that keeps going off anyway.

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Switch off the computer and unplug it from the mains. Open the case and clean out all the dust bunnies etc. Use a can of compressed air to get rid of the dust on and around the heatsinks/fans etc. See if that helps any.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks Howard, i have cleaned it and will try the compressed air thing tomorrow.

I don't know if this helps but i did the Everest download and it came up with this.

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

User Name Compaq_Owner

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 3066 MHz (23 x 133)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Intel Grantsdale-G i915G
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (10/27/05)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter RADEON X300 Series Secondary (128 MB)
Video Adapter RADEON X300 Series (128 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon X300 (RV370)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (F8WC5B0166352)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801FB ICH6 - High Definition Audio Controller [C-0]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2651
Disk Drive WDC WD2500JS-60MHB1 (232 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive Generic USB SD Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB SM Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
Optical Drive TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552D (DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:16x/4x, DVD-RW:12x/4x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:40x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 232322 MB (213604 MB free)
D: (FAT32) 6129 MB (2605 MB free)
Total Size 232.9 GB (211.1 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard Compaq PS2 Keyboard (2K - 3)
Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter GlobeSpan USB ADSL LAN Modem Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Modem Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem

Peripherals:
Printer Fax
Printer HP DeskJet 810C
USB1 Controller Intel 82801FB ICH6 - USB Universal Host Controller [C-0]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801FB ICH6 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [C-0]
USB Device GlobeSpan USB ADSL LAN Modem
USB Device USB Camera
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

What is the fan cooling or exhausting ?
Where is it located ?
All your details above aren't needed.Like name of keyboard.
Just mine asked above

There are two fans on the back of the computer. The bottom one has Sunon KD1209PTS1. The fan is cooling. It seems whenever i play a game it goes off really loudly. If i just surf the net then the fan works in the normal low spin-ie no loud noise.

I can't be certain without hearing the sound myself, but another possibility is that your fan is dying. Sometimes when a fan starts to die, they let out terrible noises of suffering and death.

Is the sound that it is making one of a really fast spinning fan, or one of a likely broken fan? According to your fans specs, it should reach a maximum of 30db. That shouldn't wake up the neighbors. I suspect that fan is dead.

Remove it from your case, bring it to your local PC shop and buy a replacement.

DonNagual said:
I can't be certain without hearing the sound myself, but another possibility is that your fan is dying. Sometimes when a fan starts to die, they let out terrible noises of suffering and death.

Is the sound that it is making one of a really fast spinning fan, or one of a likely broken fan? According to your fans specs, it should reach a maximum of 30db. That shouldn't wake up the neighbors. I suspect that fan is dead.

Remove it from your case, bring it to your local PC shop and buy a replacement.

Yes really fast spinning is what is happening. Thanks for your reply.

Simple solllution then

ElHarry said:
There are two fans on the back of the computer. The bottom one has Sunon KD1209PTS1. The fan is cooling. It seems whenever i play a game it goes off really loudly. If i just surf the net then the fan works in the normal low spin-ie no loud noise.
These are just cooling fans,not for instance the cpu or videocard fan.
So just replace the noisy one and remember the pws connection it used.
Maybe 15 or 20 bucks CDN anyway.

How is the power connected to it? Regular molex style? or the 3 thin wires? The reason this is important is because the guy says it changes speeds. Replacing the fan is the obvious solution as it shouldn't be terribly loud, but he's goign to want to replace it with one that has some way for it to automatically change speed and get it hooked up so that happens.

Well giving it a good old clean has seemed to do the trick. Being a novice i didn't even realise there was a fan inside. I was amazed at the amount of dust inside their when i did open it up.

I just want to thank everyone who has replied to my questions and have been kind enough to offer their help. I think i'll stick around and try and read up on some of the topics.

Thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back