A Very Strange CPU problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello, well let's see my system specs are

P4p800-E deluxe ASUS motherboard
Maxtor 80gb 7200rpm hardrives X2 (raid stripe config)
GeForce 7800GS OC
2 GB cheap DDR corsair i think? 100$ for a gigx2
P4 CPU 3.2 Ghz
530W power supply

my CPU is running at 80 Celsius at startup or right now with just firefox open....

haha surprising cuz it usually doesnt make it to the windows loading screen..it just shuts off... i will answer any questions that can help.

thank you =]

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

That`s way too hot.

Open your case and make sure the cpu fan is running properly.

If it is, clean out any dust from the heatsink. If that doesn help, remove the heatsink and clean off the old thermal pad/paste with a little isopropyl or rubbing alcohol. Thoroughly dry it and apply a very thin layer of new theremal paste to the cpu die. Reattach the heatsink.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

so would the temperature account for it randomly shutting off on startup, in bios, ect? i cleaned evetrything but i have no paste so i'm going to get some, theres like no paste right now i suppose

Yes, the cpu temp will make the system very unstable.

You should try and get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Regards Howard :)

You really shouldn't be using the computer at all with it in that state. Wait until you get some paste before you keep using it.

ok so i got some paste and VERY CAREFULLY followed the directions and when i turn my computer on it doesnt startup but my speakers make a clicky noise. should i be concerned? it was working normally then i shut it down and used rubbing alchohol to clean the parts. maybe i should apply more? because i was very sparse in using it.

Thanks =)

You need to make sure that the cpu is seated correctly. It`ll only go in to the socket one way and shouldn`t require any force. It shouldn`t take a lot of alcohol to remove the old thermal pad/paste. You did clean it off of both the heatsink and cpu didn`t you?

Also, make sure the heatsink is properly attached and the right way round.

HERE`s some instructions on how to apply thermal paste.

alright so i applied it correctly and everything, but my computer doesnt start up, it just turns on and makes the lciking noise through the speakers...so i'm guessing that somehow my processor is broken but maybe there's hope....if not i mean that's the life of computers for you haha. I just don't want to lose all the adata on my hardrive.

clearly something`s not right. The best way to check if you`ve blown your cpu, is to take if to your local pc repair shop and have them test it for you. This will only cost a few dollars.

well, i noticed that 4 or 5 of the pins were bent so i straitened them and BINGO. i am so happy. thank you for your help, i used the directions for applying thermal paste and now my computer is running at 40 celcius.

case closed!

Probably pushed it in too hard or the wrong way. Most bent-pin CPUs I have seen are mainly dead, so I suppose you're pretty lucky. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back