A weird noise..and a modem prob..

Status
Not open for further replies.

meNOname

first off the weird noise..
every now and then when i hit the power button on the PC, it makes a very loud humming nose...much higher than the normal hum of it....
once i hit the power button and turn it back on the noise stops

any idea what it is?

Next, im on dial up....and usually dialed up to the internet 24/7......
this used to never happen....but im getting busy signals and error messages...and getting ddisconnected it seems for no reason....

woudl this be my software(AOL), or the modem is just to old?
(and would a newer modem, speed up a dial up connection...i know it oculdnt be much, but you know)

thanks....

so wait...the computer is in a off state, and pushing the button only results in this hum? then, pushing the button a second time finally does the trick? from what you said, it is hard for me to understand exactly what is happening. if this happens, you have yourself a power supply problem, or a bad fan somewhere. try isolating the sound to a particular area or component.
but im getting busy signals and error messages...and getting disconnected it seems for no reason....
AOL does this all the time to its customers (usually on purpose), and that's just the tip of the iceberg. i reccomend you get a real ISP, such as earthlink or consider broadband or even DSL.

if you do decide to cancel your account, remembe that AOL employees are instructed to not comply with the customer's request until they have said 'cancel the account' for the third time. the employees are rewarded on a per-customer basis for 'persuading' you to keep your account. although i have never given my real first name to an AOL employee, on many occasions customers have paid me to get thier account cancelled after thier unsuccessful attempts to do so. and dealing with AOL reps is a terrible, terrible thing to go through.

Well said zephead,
I've had to low-level format some former AOHell users systems, just to get the AOHell crap off their machines...

i would get dsl but its not availible in my area, and i have heard about AOL being a pain in the *** to come to an agreement with.....

as for that hum
no the computer cuts on just fine when i hit the power button, and will run normal but there is just a really loud hum, maybe it is a bad fan....ill pop it open and check it out...

but itll stop if i shut it down via power button then turn it back on...

o well thanks for the hep

PS (zeppelin now thats real music)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back