A Windows 10 update is breaking Linux support for some users

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: Not for the first time, Microsoft has released a Windows 10 update that fixes one problem while introducing another. This time, a patch for the notorious SSD issue has broken Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2).

Windows Latest reports that the September 2020 cumulative update (KB4571756) has had an unwelcome impact for some. Users on Microsoft's Feedback Hub and Github bug report forum note that after installing the update, they're receiving an "Element not found" error when trying to run WSL.

While the problem seems to mostly affect devices running Windows 10 version 20H2 (19042), there are reports of it appearing on some machines with version 2004 (May 2020 Update) installed.

"After the KB4571756, I also got this error. I deleted the docker folders in AppData, then uninstalled and reinstalled docker but it didn't fix. It finally worked when I uninstalled the latest windows quality updates. (docker is associated with WSL in this case," wrote one user.

The SSD bug this update fixed was one of the many issues introduced by the Windows 10 May 2020 update. It affected the Defrag utility app in Windows 10 2004—the tool failed to flag the fact that it had performed a scheduled defragmentation on an SSD. This meant that it could end up repeatedly defragging an SSD, thereby potentially shortening its life span.

Microsoft has yet to acknowledge the new problem, so if you've found WSL2 isn't working after installing KB4571756, the only fix right now is to remove the update.

This is the second time in a week that a Windows update has borked a major feature. The September 2020 optional update is affecting some machines' Sleep Mode, with cases of computers repeatedly waking up for no reason, or the low power state not working at all.

Permalink to story.

Microsoft has become so sloppy with their software one has to wonder what on earth are all their high paid software managers doing all day long? Microsoft supposedly wrote the book on testing and debugging but it certainly appears they have abandoned their own principles. Personally, I think they should refund a large chunk of the purchase price every time they release these poorly produced products .....

"This is the second time in a week that a Windows update has borked a major feature."

I'll acknowledge that sleep mode is a major feature... but I don't think WSL counts... it's only about a year old, and only affects those using Linux via their Windows machines... I'd wager 99% of Windows users haven't installed WSL - and 98% don't even know what it is...

You have to understand that Windows is installed on hundreds of millions of devices all over the world - and there are millions of different hardware and software combinations on them... it's IMPOSSIBLE to create an OS that will work 100% perfectly on ALL of them.

That's why they release updates and fixes... remember, you can easily fix this one by simply rolling back the update!

You have to understand that Windows is installed on hundreds of millions of devices all over the world - and there are millions of different hardware and software combinations on them... it's IMPOSSIBLE to create an OS that will work 100% perfectly on ALL of them.
Exactly what I was going to say.
And then people act that missing a bug that <1% of people would even run into should somehow be predictable and prevented....

The problem is microsoft forces updates with limited options to restrict them, if they want almost total control then they need to stay on the ball.

but I don't think WSL counts
I think the point is that it is a major feature to those who use it. Sure, if you're not a developer, or even a certain type of developer, you won't notice at all. But if you are - this immediately becomes your #1 issue because you can't even start your workday until it is fixed. Microsoft invested in this feature because they were tired of losing web developers to Linux and MacOS desktops. This kind of screw up does not help with that goal.

But I agree with your larger point about most reporting about Windows update bugs does not distinguish between an issue reported by a low number of anonymous forum participants and a confirmed bug that does not come down to individual system problems or bugs in third party software.

Microsoft has become so sloppy with their software one has to wonder what on earth are all their high paid software managers doing all day long? Microsoft supposedly wrote the book on testing and debugging but it certainly appears they have abandoned their own principles. Personally, I think they should refund a large chunk of the purchase price every time they release these poorly produced products .....
This is what happens when a company fires what is basically the entirety of their QA team, and then decides to turn some of the users into guinea pigs instead - the QA people were hired for a reason, and it is very clear to see as to why, but as always "money talks"

I think the point is that it is a major feature to those who use it.
I wish it was... but this site likes to put the "hate" on certain companies... and the headline certainly makes this seem far more serious than it is...

And any developer who actually needs this simply rolls back the update - or uses a virtual machine which IMHO still works way better than WSL.

Slow news day.... time to invent some windows update issues... then wait for the tin hats to chirp off about issues none of them have experienced....

All I know is that whatever update forced it's way to my mother-in-law's laptop last week, broke Windows so bad that the computer wouldn't boot into Safe Mode (so no system restore) and I couldn't run a repair either. Format and re-install of Windows 10.

At least this time Windows hasn't been allowed to update on my Plex server thanks using ShutUp10 and disabling anything and everything that's connected to doing updates. 2 completely failed Win 10 updates that caused me the same issue the mother-in-law had, I got tired of wiping and re-installing windows every 6 months from their forced updates.

Remember WSL isn't even a complete emulator for Linux; it just runs Linux binaries.
Can WSL replace Cygwin?​
WSL will take over many users, but can't replace yet. There are still many Windows commands that can be executed in Cygwin but impossible in WSL. Cygwin also interacts better with native Windows OS.​

so you get a CRT that (sometimes) supports the Linux binary and that leaves lots of opportunity for failures. The technology sadly needs to mature

All I know is that whatever update forced it's way to my mother-in-law's laptop last week, broke Windows so bad that the computer wouldn't boot into Safe Mode (so no system restore) and I couldn't run a repair either. Format and re-install of Windows 10.

At least this time Windows hasn't been allowed to update on my Plex server thanks using ShutUp10 and disabling anything and everything that's connected to doing updates. 2 completely failed Win 10 updates that caused me the same issue the mother-in-law had, I got tired of wiping and re-installing windows every 6 months from their forced updates.
IMO, the only way to work around WinDOHs 10 update issues is to run the Pro version, turn off updates with the group policy editor, do an image backup before hand, then manually check for and install updates. If the update breaks something, restore the image backup. While this does actually prevent update issues, it does provide a quick and safe path back to a working PC.

The problem is microsoft forces updates with limited options to restrict them, if they want almost total control then they need to stay on the ball.
You can defer feature updates for a year in Settings app. In such way, I still use 1903 now.

Defer feature updates for a year in Settings app

IMO, the only way to work around WinDOHs 10 update issues is to run the Pro version, turn off updates with the group policy editor, do an image backup before hand, then manually check for and install updates. If the update breaks something, restore the image backup. While this does actually prevent update issues, it does provide a quick and safe path back to a working PC.
Simply defer feature updates for a year in Settings app. But never postpone security updates. In such way, my laptop still runs 1903 with latest security updates.

M$ is a sales first company that sells stuff that is technically deficient. they are great at sales but lousy at tech.....

Simply defer feature updates for a year in Settings app. But never postpone security updates. In such way, my laptop still runs 1903 with latest security updates.
But are you actually more secure? I know the argument is that you are, however, being more secure is hard to quantify without knowing what exploits are possible and how often they are being seen in the wild. It is not that difficult, IMO, to be and stay more secure even without "security updates."

Exactly what I was going to say.
And then people act that missing a bug that <1% of people would even run into should somehow be predictable and prevented....
Do you have a reference for that < 1% figure?

BTW, I have a machine that refuses to go beyond 1903. Every time,w hen I try a subsequent update, it blue-screens on the first reboot and tells me the update failed to install.

I wish it was... but this site likes to put the "hate" on certain companies... and the headline certainly makes this seem far more serious than it is...
I look at it as more of a service that TechSpot provides to those who have an interest in such things, but, to Each their own. You do know you do not have to read articles like this, don't you?

I look at it as more of a service that TechSpot provides to those who have an interest in such things, but, to Each their own. You do know you do not have to read articles like this, don't you?
Look at it however you want... but if you can legitimately read the headline - then compare to actual facts - and believe this article is impartial - I want some of the kool-aid you’re drinking :)

But are you actually more secure? I know the argument is that you are, however, being more secure is hard to quantify without knowing what exploits are possible and how often they are being seen in the wild. It is not that difficult, IMO, to be and stay more secure even without "security updates."
Installing latest security patch is definitely a must.
16 years ago in 2004 I learnt the hard way of not installing latest security patches.
Sasser infected PCs in other branches force reboot dozens of PCs in my branch.
PCs in my branch ran daily updated antivirus but haven't installed latest windows security patches. Antivirus prevented them from infected but couldn't block the force remote boot.

BTW, I have a machine that refuses to go beyond 1903. Every time,w hen I try a subsequent update, it blue-screens on the first reboot and tells me the update failed to install.
Run chkdsk on internal drives and scanreg then just enjoy 1903 and wait until 1909 auto upgrade.
With 1 year deferral, 1903 won't auto upgrade to 1909 until this November

Do you have a reference for that < 1% figure?
Waking up from standby always hit and miss (hang) when running windows 10 in my haswell laptop though it runs latest bios, drivers and latest 1903 patches.

If not because I need hyper v native nat, I would still use 8.1. The start menu is garbage but the os was very reliable for my laptop

Back