A wireless question

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Baltan

Hi

I was thinking of upgrading to wireless,. Want i want to know is how safe it is and also will any wireless cards work with any hub??

The alternative to this is using the hub with erthnet.

Thanxs Baltan

No, wireless is not safe. Since you are asking the question, then it will probably be even more insecure.
No, no wireless device can work with a hub. They do work with wireless access points and wireless routers.

Nodsu said:
No, wireless is not safe.
This is an accurate answer, but in the context of your typical user, I think wireless is safe enough.

It's not wireless that's the weak link in my opinion - being connected to the Internet at all is your biggest threat... If you're willing to risk connecting to the net, then wireless is your 2nd biggest worry. ;)

Of course, you really need to set your wireless up properly. The very minimum should include WPA encryption and changing the default password on your router. Additional security can be added through turning off your SSID (almost useless), specifying only certain IPs access to your router and LAN MAC filtering (both are good steps). The point being, if configured by someone who is knowledgeable, wireless can be relatively secure although never impenetrable.

Wireless can be just as safe / safer than wired ethernet - if you know what you are doing. WPA is not secure if you are relying on rotating WEP keys. That's only marginally better than WEP, which is easily defeatable. WPA + AES is very good. To date, AES is not decryptable, at least not by anything anyone is aware of. You're more likely to have someone sneak into your house and plug into your switch or rummage through your trash than you are for them to even begin to sniff your data from a WPA + AES + Mac filtering AP.

Impenetrable? Nothing ever is. Don't assume it isn't safe though, just because it isn't indestructable. Just as you can get into a wreck with your car no matter how careful you drive, NO security technology will be good forever.

If you want to be extremely crafty and have lots of time, you can replicate a scenario such as I have. I am using an AP that has an ACL allow list to deny by mac, specific firewall rules to permit only traffic from my workstations, using 5.3GHz instead of 2.4GHz, employing WPA + AES + PSK as well as using Channel Cloaking, a feature only available in certain software (that you must pay for).

But why go through all that trouble?

Well i have two computers and would like to go on the internet at the same time on botht the computers.

Baltan

Hi Baltan,

If you are just going to connect two computers at the same time and they are not going to be moved around alot then you should use a ethernet cord for both puged into a router. Doing this will provide a much more stable connection compared to the wireless. If you do decide to set up wireless then make sure you read up on some good articals on setting up WPA or WEP keys for your computer and router so no one steals your internet and information.

So all i have to do is get a hub and erthnet cables to connect the two computers up so that i can go on the internet on both of the computers at the same time.

Baltan

"router", "switch" and "hub" are all different kinds of devices.

Tell us exactly what kind of an internet connection you have at the moment. A "hub" would work only in certain circumstances.What kinds of network devices are you connecting to?

Post the output of "ipconfig /all" command in the command prompt.

At the moment i have a usb modem.

Also how do i find the command prompt?

Baltan

At the moment i have a usb modem.
Does your USB modem have another port for a network cable in the back? Many USB modems are not just USB, but are able to receive both USB and network cables.

If your modem is only USB, you'll need to get a new modem. Virtually all routers you'll find will only have network ports and will not have a place to connect a USB modem.

Also how do i find the command prompt?
If you're using Windows XP, Start > Run > cmd and click OK. A black box will appear, just type in ipconfig /all and press enter. Right click on the title bar at the top and a menu will pop up. Click 'Edit' and then 'Select All' and this will highlight everything in the window. Right click anywhere on the highlighted area and it will copy it to your clipboard. Write a reply to this thread, right click and paste this information into your reply.

Baltan said:
Could you post yours so i could see what it looks like???
Baltan
A weird question, no? :) Here is what it should look like...

Code:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : rickpc
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : socal.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : socal.rr.com
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-D4-D0-7E-33
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 66.75.164.90
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, November 16, 2006 3:15:36
PM
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, November 23, 2006 3:15:36
PM

C:\>

Thanxs for that. Just a quick question why do you need to see what my one looks like??

Baltan

lol thats a good question lol. I am not sure as well y he needs to see it. Anyway just go out and buy a router not a hub. connect using the standerd and more reliable connection ethernet(RJ45). after that you can connect more then one computer you will just need to make sure all the computers support the ethernet cord.

Baltan said:
Thanxs for that. Just a quick question why do you need to see what my one looks like??
You apparently don't want to be helped. Good luck. :)

silliness aside :D

reason for requests of what your IPCONFIG looks like is purely for diagnostic purposes.. eg. your network is connected properly, some settings (that can be determined from the readout), what type of connection(s) you have (and if they're active), how you are connected etc..

for those who don't know how to read it its probably gonna look like some bunch of numbers and words, but those who've trained in it or learned about it would know what they mean and can help you fix things, like Rick :)

ok i c. I did not say i didnt want his help i just wanted to know what the reason was for me posting it. I will post it shortly.

Baltan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back