A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo/memory problems - please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I am after a bit of advice.

I have ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo (AMD Barton 3200+) and have recently purchased 2 sticks of Kingston value 512 - 3200 memory.

The chap I bought it off assured me it would be fine with this board. However it seems that there are issues with this memory as when I change the bus speed to 400 my comp crashes regulary and generally runs v slow. When I knock this down to 333 it is fine.

Bascically he wont take it back as he says it is a compatibilty issue and is therefore not his fault and there nothing wrong with it (needless to say I won't be visiting his shop again!!!).

Anyways, I have read previous posts which seem to indicate that the best thing to do is bin this memory and buys some new "approved" memory as suggested by the ASUS website.

I was wondering whether if anyone knew if there are any solutions for this problem or whehter I should indeed stick it on ebay and buy some more?!?!?!?

If anyone has this board and has memory running at 400fsb please please let me know what brand etc etc.

And replies would be greatly appreiciated.

Thanks

The guy in the store is an *****. Next time tell him you are gonna post the name of his store on the 40 or 50 different message boards you frequent so people will know better than to deal with him. Also next time ask about the stores return policy before you buy anything computer related.

To the problem at hand. you have 3 DIMM slots. A black one, slot 1. A blue one next to it, slot 2. And a 3rd one with a space between it and #2, slot 3. Install your DDR in slots 1 and 3 or slots 2 and 3. It won't work if you put it in slots 1 and 2.

Go into the BIOS and go to the Exit menu window. The last one. Highlight "Load Set-up Defaults" and press enter. It will ask permission. Say yes (y). Hit F10. It will ask "Save changes and exit?. Say Yes. Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot and see if it works. If you have already tried the RAM in the correct slots, do the set-up defaults anyway to make sure the problem is not a bad BIOS setting. Let me know how it goes.

No luck luvhuffer

I had tried all possibilities in terms of the placement of the DIMMS originally but didn't try what u proposed re "Load Set-up Defaults".

However this has not worked either.

I am goin to "borrow" a stick of Samsung 512 3200 (I know they use these) out of one of the machines at work and chuck that in to see if it works out.

Will have to work late till everyone goes home but hopefully it will give me an answer! And yes I will return it - well maybe! :giddy:

I'll let u know how i get on

Denno

Hello

I use Kingston in mine but I am using Hyper X .. Try setting it to SPD in your BIOS..The strange thing is Kingston is really not supported only to 333fsb I have mine running at 350 fsb right now whats holding me back is the cpu of only 333fsb and you an only oc so far. Now actually they only support only cosiar or Muskin and Geial i would check in to these..

Thanks

I have read a few recent reviews on ebuyer that Samsung is one of the best types to use with this board to use with this board at 400fsb. An I.T technician at work is gonna sort me a with a stick tomorow to try out.

I will let you know how I get on.

Denno

:giddy: Update :giddy:

Just chucked the Samsung 512 3200 in my ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo (AMD Barton 3200+) and it is finally running at 400fsb without any hitches.....yet.

I will give a further update tomorrow on how it is going!

Great news like I said I do not have any problems with my Hyper-X pro but we shall see when my new barton gets here with 400fsb ..

I spoke to soon!

No sooner had I had posted the above post it crashed and reboobted automatically :mad: !!!!!!!!! I was s close to launching it out of the window so I put some dolphin sounds on my stereo to calm me down!

Not sure where to go from here really - I am going to try and install xp on another HD without SATA and capability to see if i can get the fooker to work on the other one!

Let me how you get on with your new Barton tbrunt :haha:

Ill let you know how I get on soon.

Peace man

OK Denno, go into your system properties (rt. click my computer hit properties). On Advanced tab Go to startup and recovery, hit settings. In the system failure box uncheck Automatically restart. The next time it crashes instead of rebooting you will get a BSOD (blue screen) Hopefully it will stay on the screen long enough for you to write down everything it says, especially the 0x000008e kind of entries and any mention of a particular driver. The bug check codes need to be read in order so post them just as they appeared. If you can.

Hi Chaps

I ran diagnostic test on the SATA HD with Maxtors PowerMax utility and the dirve is fine.

I installed XP an a normal spare ATA drive at 333 fsb and upped it to 400 when everything was installed and running fine and then ...... yep u guessed it - it started crashing all the time!

The BSOD gives this info...

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

and the technical info is

***STOP: 0x0000000A (0xFFFE8080, 0x00000002, 0x00000001 0x806EE2DC)

Any ideas on this?!?!?!?!?!? I am going to scour the internet to attempt to find some info on this but if you have any ideas the let me know!!!!

Any responses would be greatly appreiciated

Cheers chaps

Peace man

Denno

Bug Check 0xA: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bug check has a value of 0x0000000A. This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

Parameters
The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen.

Parameter Description
1 Memory referenced
2 IRQL at time of reference
3 0=Read 1=Write
4 Address which referenced memory

Cause
This bug check is issued if paged memory (or invalid memory) is accessed when the IRQL is too high.

The error that generates this bug check usually occurs after the installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS.

If you encounter bug check 0xA while upgrading to a later version of Windows, this error might be caused by a device driver, a system service, a virus scanner, or a backup tool that is incompatible with the new version.

I know that doesn't say much to you but that is the bug check for 0xA. Most often but not always the IRQ not less than but equal to thing is memory related. The 4 that come afterward are the parameters as listed above. What devices do you have using IRQ 2? You can find them in Device manager. Go to View at the top and check Resources by Connections. Then expand the IRQ tree. Do you remember installing a particular device or flashing a new BIOS before this started? You may want to run memtest86 to make sure your memory is good.

I'm kind of new on this site so I don't know what their band width is or how big of posts they like to handle. If you want, you can do this. Go to C (or your OS drive if it's different) /Documents and settings/all users/application data/Microsoft/Dr. Watson. Copy the log in the Dr. Watson folder, and E-mail it to me. I'll take a look and see what programs are running when it crashes. It's pcnull-techspot@yahoo.com Put denno in the subject line so I know who it's from. Otherwise I just trash it if I don't know who it's from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back