TechSpot

A7N8X stability problems

By mr_glr
Feb 26, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello

I am quite new in the business of overclocking and I need help understanding if my settings are ok and why some things are the way they are...

First, my setup:

Asus A7N8X Rev 2 Bios C1004
    AMD 2600+ Barton (multiplier locked)
    Out of the box heatsink fan
    Corsair PC3200 XMS+ 256 x 2 (for 512 Mb) in dual mode
    MSI GeForce 4 TI4600
    Maxtor 6L060J3 (60 Gb)
    Quantum FireballP AS60 (60 Gb)
    DVD Writer LG GSA-4040B
    CD Writer LG CRD-8522B

That's about all that is relevant I think.

Ok, I've tried a few settings but the most stable I've achieved up to now is this:

Running FSB at 189 Mhz (380 Mhz)
    Resulting CPU speed of 2.19 Ghz
    Memory is set to 11-3-3-2 (100% speed)
    CPU vCore at 1.7
    DDr at 2.8
    AGP at 1.6

CPU temperature never got higher than 54 celcius and board to 27 while running Prime95. So I believe these settings are pretty conservative, aren't they? Well, Prime95 didn't run for more than 30 minutes when it crashed (reboot).

Also, I've played EA Sports F1 99-02 for about 30-45 minutes before it crashed too (reboot).

Before that, I had tried memory settings of 8-3-3-2, 7-3-3-2 and 6-3-3-2 along with lower voltage settings but the PC was crashing even faster in F1 99-02.

Sandra 2004 reports memory bandwidth efficiency as being around 92% (int) and 84% (float). The other numbers look quite good to me but it's just not stable enough for me. Seeing numbers on the 'net for similar setups, I believe I should be able to crank it up a little more.

Can you help??
    Thanks
    Mr GLR
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

You can also use a SpeedStrip if you can ever get your hands on one.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.