A7V8X won't boot. has power. no beeps or display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps the two RAM's use different voltages. One might be more tolerant than the other with incorrect voltages.

i had the same "start up" problem many-a-time. Just take out every single thing in your case and disconnect everything connected to the motherboard, example: take out ram, video card, psu, etc.. When everything is totally disconnected from each other and placed spread out on a table or whatnot, then.....put it all back in. I'm not exactly sure what it is but that has helped me a lot when it comes to the 15 seconds of fame. haha

duh!

mailpup:

you mentioned ram voltages... i mentioned that i reinstalled one stick of ram that was working in the original machine. so since it was working with that originally the voltages must have been good. no? correct me if i'm wrong :)

formetopoopon90: as i wrote already; i took everything out except for the psu connection. so that means no cpu, ram or video or hard drives or anything. and the machine gave me a "no cpu detected" error.

when i popped the cpu in it froze

Read:
Updating ram & troubleshooting
Tutorial: NO POST / Power General troublshooting

Dell uses (most of the time) proprietary RAM modules that work only on their systems/particular models. It may not be compatible with your ASUS motherboard. Check the Asus Website for whats compatible, and if that ram from the DELL matches those requirements.

a way to know for sure its incompatible is if you can't boot past POST or if the memtest fails (link in my signature)

in addition Asus motherboards are VERY picky about types of RAM they'll accept as stated in my guide.

regarding picky ram and proprietary ram.

i stuck the old ram back in the case.

so in theory the machine should return to normal.

no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back