1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

AAE image question

By learninmypc ยท 12 replies
Mar 31, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. AAE FILE.JPG
    can somebody explain this? In other folders I've had too many to count. I don't know how to explain it any better.

2. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 7,086   +358

3. mike1959

mike1959 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,030   +53

The .aae file extension is ( it says) created by Apple operating systems, and is extra info about images, non essential info.
    So it probably comes from Apple pc users who have uploaded images to sites, and then you have downloaded them without knowing it.
    If you are using Windows ( think you are ) then they will just take up a small amount of HD space.
    Just searched my C: drive and didn't find any of that type.

4. learninmypc

None of those "images" were downloaded, ALL were pics I took with my iPad/iPhone. That is why I'm confused.

5. learninmypc

As previously noted, these "images" are not downloaded, they ARE pictures I've taken with my iPad/iPhone. I'm still confused :confused:

6. learninmypc

It took me looong enough, lol. Problem solved. Simply type in folder search bar AAE & ALL those files come up so I delete them. No program necessary. Thank you @Mike1961 . Still like to know why?? but..... :) :) :)

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 10,044   +763

Settings, options, themes or skins file type. File extension aae is exclusively related to a special "sidecar" file generated by the Apple Photos app included in macOS and iOS devices. AAE format is XML based format that contains all the edits and adjustments made on a particular digital photograph (.jpg).

8. learninmypc

Could you please translate that into english so I can understand it better? As of my previous post, I have deleted ALL those AAE images.

9. jobeard

If they're gone, it's a non-issue :) The files contained editing information, likely the picture meta data (f-stop, shutter speed, date, time)

ANY time you read XML, it's a tagged representation for text

learninmypc likes this.
  10. learninmypc

Ok, thank you. :)

11. learninmypc

I just found some more AAE images so I googled how to fix aae images & found this https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201463
    If I read that correctly, is it telling me those are images I've edited???

12. jobeard

That's what I would take it to mean. However,
    so it's NON-Graphical, non-image, but only Meta data like date,time,location,f-Stop setting...

learninmypc likes this.
  13. learninmypc