Abit A-17 chipset fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adze

Well, I recently invested in a brand new comptuer for myself, the first one I ever built and it was going just fine. I built it, it ran, it worked well....and then....

This amazingly loud hum began to eminate from inside my computer. I immediately thought this was through my own fault and I haven't attatched/screwed down/done something I needed to do, but with a little investigation using headphones and a microphone I located this hum to my chipset fan ontop of a heatsink on my Abit-A17 motherboard.

It started off loud and usually went quiet after a few minutes of running, but after a week or so it changed so it started off loud...and remained loud...for hours and hours. This bugged me, and while it was still under warranty I thought I'd send it back and let the shop sort it. They did and are currently shipping me a replacement.

Unfortunately though, I have a friend with exactly the same motherboad who is now experiencing the same problem. This leads me to believe it could be a design fault and not just a one-off fault as I first suspected.

So...

Is there any way that, should the problem repeat itself, or should I feel the urge to help my friend fix his noise, to stop this hum. I'm not exactly at one with technology compared with you guys, so I wouldn't know where to begin with dismantling the fan or where to oil it etc.

If I looked at my old motherboard when it made the noise, the fan was visibly running slower, so maybe some kind of mechanical obstruction with the bearings? Just a guess, but is there a cheap (or less frustrating than dealing with sub-par returns departments) way to fix this?

Turns out if I lived in America then I could buy a replacement chipset fan for only $6, but as I don't, I can't, so any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, hope you have enough info to understand what I'm on about.

--Adze

i've heard many negative remarks about abit's recent apparent drop in quality. see if you can get your money back to purchase a better product, or replace the fan (will require a bit of work if you can't get the proper parts). good luck
btw - oiling the fan will probably make things worse and get oil on your board. try it with the fan out and see if you can accept the results.

Well thanks for the info. The new motherboard came already as it was too late to cancel the order and search for an alternative. It's in and running nicely - but for how long. Looks like if it goes again I'll just have to send it back and choose another brand...which would be a great shame because other than this problem I think it's an awesome board.

Cheers,
Adze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back