Abnormally high CPU temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

Recently ive had a severe problem of low FPS during gameplay and have been trying to figure out an answer as to why... Ive done all the standard procedure tests and heres what ive come up with...
I know for sure that is not:
1) a video card problem
2) a memory problem

Ive concluded this problem has something to do with my processor... Ive for a P4 prescott 3.0ghz and a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G mobo and a BFGtech 6800GT OC agp 8x card

I downloaded a CPU temp reading program (as my mobo has thermal guages throughout) and found that my CPU is running IDLE at no less than 70c... Thats aproximatly 172 degrees farenheit!!! Now im not a computer genius... but that sounds out of this world for the computer being idle...

Now for the question.... With all my other hardware running flawless, could this extreme temperature problem be causing my VERY low FPS?? whether t is or not i ordered a new Arctic Freezer for my chip.... this computer used to run all games 100% flawless... not it just sucks

Someone just please reassure me that my suspicions are true and that the low FPS is a heating issue :)

thanks!

Well what I would do is reaply thermal grease (arctic silver 5 is the best)..

Make sure the the Heat Sink Fan is spinning. If not then you may need a new motherboard/HSF. I wouldn't recommened not turning on that comp until your sure about everything, as it is killing the cpu.

Prescott's do run hot , but yours is near the unsafe edge.Cross... is right that you should get that machine cooled off before you run it.
Remember Intel's will just shutdown at a certain temp threshold, and it doesn't sound like that has happened.
So after you have the temp fixed. Try some full disk mainainance next.Clear all unecessary temp files ,IE temp ,Game Cache temp especially, defrag ,etc.
Games leave all kinds of fragrments on a disk.
Make sure the partiton that has you cache has a ton of free space. Next ,not all games like the same hardware ,driver( especially video & audio types) configuration.
If you updated any games or drivers or hardware. You will want to confirm that there are no issues between these items/version #'s. A good place to check is one of the forums for each of your games. These quickly discover conflicts /repairs.

cleaned HSF

I cleaned out my HS/F and that alone instantly dropped my idle temp to about 60 degrees. The grease was near nonexistent on the proc/HS, it was so dried up i dont think its doing anything... When I place a box fan suck air out of my open case I got my idle temp down to 50 C. Thats at least safe enough for typing papers etc until my new HSF and arctic silver compound come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back