aboutadog / doginhispen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am Brand New to this site & I am in need of some help. I have read the other thread for Bad Dog & I think I have the same virus.. I have noticed the b.whataboutadog in my history along with doginhispen.

According to the other posts, my choices are to clean my pc or reformat.

I do put personal information online so I am thinking that I will reformat. The problem is though that A. I have no recovery disc & B. Have never done this before.

I pulled out my pc starter kit & it says that my pc has preinstalled System Recovery software on my hard-drive. Is this good enough?
It tells me to use the Software Repair wizard to run this.

When I tried running the wizard it offered either a system recovery or a system restoral. Which do I choose?

Thank you in advance for your help.

ps: I also copied all of my important info I want saved to a portable disc so I wouldn't lose any of that.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Please download FindAWF to your Desktop.
Double-click FindAWF.exe to start the tool.
Select "option #1 - Scan for bak folders" by typing 1 and press Enter
When the tool has completed, a report will open up in notepad. Please post the results of the awf.txt as an attachment.

Also attach a HJT log as per the instructions HERE.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of Ghoulia only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Reformat

I've decided to reformat my pc.

Have you ever heard of the recovery info being pre-installed as my HP packet says? I'd like to try the system recover.

You`ll need to consult your HP manual, as I have no idea about that.#

Thanks for taking the time to get back to us.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of Ghoulia only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I really appreciate your help Howard. I see you are a busy man with all of your previous posts on other threads.;)

One more quick question....

I should be doing a system recovery and not a system restore, right?

Also, (I guess that would be two questions..) :eek: I don't need to follow the instructions for the cleaning process, correct? Once I restore the factory settings it should be the pc as it was when I got it.

Recovery Complete

Okay, I've done a system recovery.

It restored all of my original factory settings.

It also kept some of the programs I had downloaded.

Is there any test I can run to make sure the virus is no longer on my pc? Maybe a registry entry or something?
I cannot trust my Anti-virus since it didn't pick it up the first time around. I only found it by going through my history items.

Thanks again!

Nothing nasty in your HJT log, but I suggest you fix the following.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [secondintel] c:\hp\bin\cloaker.exe c:\hp\bin\intel_tweak\intel_tweak2.cmd

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [regcmdcons] c:\hp\bin\cloaker.exe c:\hp\bin\cmdcons.cmd

O4 - Global Startup: Updates from HP.lnk = C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\309731\Program\Updates from HP.exe

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT and reboot your system.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back