TechSpot

AC Adapter supplied with laptop

By compused
Sep 11, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I have a HP G70 Notebook - 32 bit operating system. This came with its usual AC adapter and every now and then my picture fades and it keeps on telling me to connect a higher rate adapter. The adapter is plugged into a surge protector extension, so is the adapter faulty or the surge protector. If I need to replace this adapter, where in England is the best place to get a good reliable one and now one of those scam ones you see on the TV?

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,022   +591

hmm; I seriously doubt that the messages is related at all to the AC Adaptor.

3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 6,486   +331

I'd suggest plugging it directly into a wall outlet to see if same happens.

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,022   +591

How old is that battery? The AC adaptor was not designed to run a laptop without an active battery installed. If the battery is old and virtually dead, then you need a new battery, not a different charger.

5. compused

compused TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 124

I got my laptop in April 2009 so it is four years old. I will try plugging my computer direct into the wall socket and see if I get the same message. Thanks for your suggestion.

Compused.